Photo Galleries

Saturday 10 October 2015

19/02/2015 - Cycle Touring New Zealand - Day 34 - Have a new cycling partner.

 

IMG_0815

Distance cycled: 67km from Picton to Rai Valley, South Island, New Zealand
Average speed: 19.8km/h
Moving Time: 3h22m
Elevation Ascended: 816m
Total Distance on Current trip: 2,302km
Distance until I have cycled the circumference of Earth: 6,105km
Money spent: $20

image

As we were camping in our tents at the hostel the checkout time of 10am did not apply to us, so we all took advantage of the wifi, showers, included breakfast, coffee and the sheer comfort of this hostel.
It wasn't until 1:30pm when we left.
Spencer, the American we met on the ferry yesterday who was also cycle touring and I decided to ride together for a while as we all got along very well; however Marlieke will be traveling around the South Island on a bus, but there will be opportunities that we get to meet up along the way.
I think it's a good thing as I get to cover more distance towards my goal of cycling the distance of the circumference of earth and she doesn't have to climb and difficult hills.
So, cycling the South Island.
So far it is amazing, just a beautiful backdrop of dramatic mountains with turquoise waters and friendly people.
The hills that Spencer and I tacked today were steep but nothing we couldn't handle. Although I made the mistake of leaving my helmet at the hostel having climbed the first hill out of Picton up the scenic Queen Charlotte road, but of course I turned around and picked it up.
I also received my 9th puncture, even though I changed out the better tires from Marlieke's bike to mine I still managed to annoyingly get one, however it was more valve related... Please no more!
Spencer and I ended up the day in a rest area on the side of the road where we ran into the French family who we met not only on the ferry crossing the Tasman but also in Picton yesterday.
It is unbelievable to see a family of 6 touring the world for a year, and to see them do it as cheap as they are it is great to see. Kudos to them. It's amazing.

IMG_0824

IMG_0813IMG_0817

IMG_0822

IMG_0826IMG_0828IMG_0829IMG_0834

No comments:

Post a Comment