Photo Galleries

Saturday 10 October 2015

20/02/2015 - Cycle Touring New Zealand - Day 35 - Arrhhhgggg SANDFLIES!!!!

IMG_0843
Distance cycled: 82km from Rai Valley to Wakefield, South Island, NZ
Average speed: 18.9km/h
Moving Time: 4h21m
Elevation Ascended: 926m
Total Distance on Current trip: 2,384km
Distance until I have cycled the circumference of Earth: 6,023km
Money spent: $25

image


Waking up to sandflies sucking your blood leaving you itchy and irritated is shitty but having to deal with them in the evening too is even worse.
I have had my run ins with Sandflies before in the past and whatever measures I made to prevent them from biting me has failed, they always find a way... The little bastards.
Last night it rained somewhat and I didn't sleep all that well because of it having to get up and fit my tarp over my now spacious tent ( no longer having Marlieke with me). It's a little sad not having her with me but I'll be seeing her soon enough somewhere on the west coast.
The super French family (Spencer's name for them) of touring cyclists who we camped beside have spent the last few months traveling New Zealand but have a year of traveling Australasia together were amazing, they would show so many that traveling on bicycles around the world with kids is possible and they all seemed so happy together. It was amazing to see and meet them.
There were some decent climbs today but the downhill descent from the 500 meter climb to Nelson was the best I had experienced in New Zealand so far, both Spencer and I just gunned it down and were so pumped after it was over.
Making it into Nelson we didn't see anything that interested us in terms of touristy things so after a small stint in the library we headed off out of the city to find a free camping spot outside of Wakefield.
It was relatively full and the majority of people there were from Germany (no surprise as most travelers are from Germany). There were a noisy bunch camping beside us but as I sleep with heavy metal music it was not a problem.... Until they started playing the fucking bongos.

IMG_0849

No comments:

Post a Comment