Photo Galleries

Sunday 23 December 2012

21/12/2012 - Oslo to Israel. Day 89 - Not the end of the world but the end of this trip (for now)

Distance cycled: 96.1km from Finike to 20km from Antalya, turkey
Average speed: 19.7km/h
Moving time: 4h52
Total distance: 7647km
Border X'ings: 22
Money spent: €260 for hospital costs.


View 21dec12 in a larger map

 

image
Apocalypse, doomsday, end of the world; today there was the belief the Mayans predicted some sort of global cataclysmic event that would destroy us all. Fortunately for everyone nothing happened, no bombs, no solar flare, no erupting volcanos, no meteor, etc. I did not believe these catastrophes would likely occur so I went about my day and continued cycling towards Antalya, just the usual, climbing high mountain passes having spectacular views of the Mediterranean Sea, great coastal roads with wide shoulders, the sun was revitalizing and it was a day to remember, due not to the happenings mentioned above but because I managed to throw myself off the road and into a ditch trying to fix my cleat on my shoe that was acting up... at 40km/h.
With all my things scattered across the surface of the road and in the ditch where I crawled out from under my bicycle dripping with blood, I started collecting my stuff when I realized I couldn't lift my arm, as it so happens I broke my collar bone and grazed up my left side pretty badly.
The first things running in order through my mind were, Ahhh, my camera (it was all ok) then Shit! I don't have insurance, ok, I don't need an ambulance... How far is the hospital, can I hitch hike with my bike? Can I cycle with one arm?... It wasn't until I managed to flag down some locals where they were able to help me out and knock some sense into me by calling both the police and the ambulance. As we waited for them i got the locals to take pictures of me as I bled everywhere and smoked a cigarette to calm my nerves.
Soon later I was transported to the hospital where I was shuffled about different rooms on the gurney until I was helped out by this beautiful Lithuanian girl named Erica, her and her colleague dealt with foreigners emitted to hospital in Antalya and tended and explained everything from the procedure I would go though and how much it would cost - as this was important as not having any insurance I would have to pay out of my own pocket.
The procedure was straight forward enough with an X-ray, tetanus shot and a brace. Setting me back €260 - ouch! Just as painful financially as it was physically.
Having made the call to the guy I would be staying with in Antalya whilst on the side of the road he, his friends and Elyem's friend Barçin found me at the hospital and took me away to where I would be staying.
The four guys I stayed with, Mehmet, Fatih, abraham and Ozcan really did everything they could to look after me, it was great while I called mum and dad and other friends to inform them about the situation.
Ill be ok, I'll just have to figure out a different plan now to get my flight from Cyprus to israel in a week.
It may not be the end of the world but it is the end of this cycle trip - for now. 7650km with less than 500km more to go…

IMG_3520IMG_3526

Began the day where things were so beautiful.

IMG_3529

….and i was so close to my destination

IMG_3530IMG_3531

Really, just beautiful scenery

IMG_3533

sooooo close

IMG_3538

 

The second and last god forsaken tunnel

IMG_3539IMG_3540

IN all these pictures i am smiling, i am in quite a lot of pain.

IMG_3544IMG_3545

IMG_3547

Treatment at the hospital

IMG_3560

oh SNAP!

5 comments:

  1. Wow....great pics! Looks like you were under some good care. You're pics almost make me feel like I was there....NICE!! jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sorry to read about your accident. we hope you are taken good care of and - no offence - we'll be praying for you ;-))
    Diana and Alexander from Durres

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks alexander, i am now in Israel and getting ready to celebrate new years. the pain comes and goes but hopefully in 2 months ill be back on my bike heading east.
    hope you had a fantastic xmas and wishing you a great new year.

    Jono

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jono !
    Hope that you're feeling much better. Hope that you could get your bicycle without any problems. Please visit us again in the hospital when you are back again. Take good care...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kaans, good to hear from you.
      I have yet to pick up my bike in Antalya as i was told when i was in Israel that i needed surgery... i returned to the Uk to take advantage of the free healthcare but i was told my collarbone is healing just fine and wont need the surgery... on tuesday i have an appointment with another doctor to get a second opinion. I will return to turkey soon and get back on my bike ASAP but i still have a few weeks before i am fit for cycling.
      Ill certainly pop by the hospital when i return to Antalya to say hi but still unsure how soon that will be.
      hope all is well.
      thanks for your concern

      Jono

      Delete