Photo Galleries

Sunday 23 December 2012

20/12/2012 - Oslo to Israel. Day 88

Distance cycled: 77.6km from Kas to Finike, Turkey
Average speed: 18km/h
Moving time: 4h19m
Total distance: 7550km
Border X'ings: 22
Money spent: 65 lira = €27

View 20dec12 in a larger map

image
Leaving Kas after filling up on soup for breakfast I didn't know the road headed towards Antalya would be so difficult. There was really no point in having a shower this morning because as soon as I left the hotel the road was up, straight up to 600meters during which I sweated like there is no tomorrow. (Sorry, did it again - end of the world pun)
The sun was finally out too, after 3 days of the heavens pissing it down I finally got some sun, skin tanning, life giving, glorious sun. It was such an amazing relief.
I ran into another touring cyclist today, or should I say "cycled into another touring cyclist" Damjian, from Slovenia had done many bike trips around the world and was on a short 10 day trip to Izmir, we didn't chat long because I needed to get going and cover some distance but it was good to meet someone else doing a similar thing to me. He works for a newspaper back home and I asked him to promote this blog.
Finally after so much climbing today the road sloped downward providing me with some decent downhill action to Demre also to bring up my average speed for the day. The locals at Demre were great, I even somehow managed to get a discount off the Kofta sandwich I bought, perhaps it was because I bought two of them - I need to eat in large quantities.
The coastal road for the rest of the day was fantastic, passing by inlets of ocean with the smallest of beaches where locals would sell orange juice from their also tiny stalls.
As the sun was setting I entered the town of Finike, here as I was purchasing some food I was approached by an old man who offered me a place to stay at a hotel at a discounted rate, honestly I didn't want to but he seemed kind and honest, but as soon as he sorted out the hotel I would later stay at he took me to his jewelry store where he inevitably tried trying to sell me his merchandise - these series of events have happened to me all too often on my travels, but because it is doomsday tomorrow I bought a bracelet - apparently protecting me from whatever, if anything that is going to happen to us - that's how he sold it to me. Im shaking my head in shame now, I thought I was invulnerable to these selling practices.
Mufasta and I chatting away at a coffee shop for the even talking about mostly sex - ill be clear to point out, not with one another, but in general; it was interesting to say the least talking all things about sex to a horny 51 year old man at a tea house but it was entertaining.

IMG_3473

Climbing the hill overlooking Kas, Turkey

IMG_3483

Oh yeah… vitamin E… its about time!

IMG_3484IMG_3485

Damjan, from Solvenia, another fellow cyclist

IMG_3487

I dunno what this is but people lived in them

IMG_3489IMG_3509

being spied on while eating lunch, Demre Turkey

IMG_3510IMG_3513IMG_3514

A good fun, picturesque coastal road.

IMG_3516IMG_3517

Finike, Turkey

No comments:

Post a Comment