Photo Galleries

Sunday 23 December 2012

19/12/2012 - Oslo to Israel. Day 87

Distance cycled: 80.8km from Esen to Kas, Turkey
Average speed: 18.5km/h
Moving time: 4h21m
Total distance: 7472km
Border X'ings: 22
Money spent: 50 lira = €20


View 19dec12 in a larger map

image


I splurged today and got myself a hotel room for the evening in Kas, problem was because of the storm that hit me hard when I was on the road, all sorts of rain and hail, when I checked in and turned the room into a drying rack and just before I hopped into the more than much needed warm shower there was a power out that not only knocked out the town but also the hot water, air conditioning and pretty much everything I needed to get me and my belongings clean, dry, charged and comfortable.
Getting to Kas in the such shocking weather was a feat in itself, and excuse the pun because the lightning was relentless and incredibly close, on two occasions striking the road in front only 100 meters from where I was cycling.
As soon as I hit the coastal road that was on par with some of the shit that I cycled on in Albania but with bumpy loose gravel spread over the smooth asphalt that when speeding cars would pass by I would have this loose gravel ricashaying from under the car or truck hitting me or my surroundings, this along with the hail made me an unhappy chap.
Still, I am happy to have made it as far as i did today although I'm now waiting for the power to come back on. In the meantime I'll have a nap.
...
It took 2.5 hours for the power to come back on so I didn't hesitate to rinse my clothes and hop in the shower.
I honestly just sat in my room reading some stuff online, cooked some mushroom soup for dinner and chatted to old friends on Skype.
I suppose I could have gone out in the rain to check out the town but due to the lack of dry clean clothes I stayed in and rested.

IMG_3446

the snowcapped mountains through the heavy storm clouds

IMG_3447

back at the coast

IMG_3452IMG_3460

someone want to explain to me why the water is so incredibly blue?

IMG_3472IMG_3466

before and after turning my hotel room into a drying rack

No comments:

Post a Comment