Photo Galleries

Friday 28 February 2014

19/02/2014 – Cycling SE Asia. Day 63 - The color changing sulfuric lakes of Kelimutu

Distance cycled: 30.3km from Moni to Kelimutu and back to Moni, Flores, Indonesia.
Average speed: 13.1km/h
Moving Time: 2h18m
Elevation Ascended: 1157m
Burned Calories: 1692kcal
Burned Fat: 219g
Total Distance on Current trip: 5599km
Distance until I have cycled the circumference of Earth: 14,151km
Money spent: $20
IMG_5264

View 19FEB14 - Kelimutu in a larger map
image

Lucking out with the weather albeit it was slightly overcast I woke at 4am i strapped my headlamp to my face to begin cycling up the 1600m volcano to see the beauty of Kelimutu and its surroundings.
The 800 meter climb up the snaking road to the summit was grueling but the weight of all my gear was not with me today making things easier to manage.
It took just under an hour to reach the parking lot where I arrived dripping with sweat, nursing a stitch and finding it difficult to catch my breath.
I then ran the last of the distance to the viewpoint being greeted by all the tourists who passed in vehicles when I was ascending the mountain. It's always great to have a welcoming committee as it provides me with an almost overwhelming feeling of accomplishment.
Unfortunately the sunrise was not to be seen but despite this the three color changing sulfuric lakes within the craters offered a view worthy of making this place my no. 1 destination of Flores.
At the view point I met three girls, Katherine, Stine and Lindsey (Italy, Denmark and England) we hung out checking out different view points around the lakes and at one point we met an Indonesian photographer, he had tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment and gear and his photos were incredible, his speciality was underwater macro photography and his photos were mind-blowingly incredible... I'm going to have to up my game and purchase some better equipment if I were to be competing against this guy.
His name: Hendro Hioe - google this and you'll see what I am on about.
The downhill descent back to Moni from Kelimutu certainly put a grin on my face as I raced around the sharp corners and hairpin turns; my bicycle is a hell of a lot more agile when I don't have my belongings attached.
I was going to continue today and get half way to Maumere but I got lazy and decided to spend another night here.
I joined the girls for the evening meal at one of the more expensive places in town that only makes a set three course dinner for people who booked in advance and although it was pricey the food was pretty damn delicious; did you know that you can eat the flower from the banana tree? It's texture is incredibly meat-like, and its really tasty.

Here's something to keep in mind and expand you knowledge of the world, a banana tree isn't actually a tree, its a giant herb.
Kelimutu, Pano 5, Flores, Indonesia 2014Kelimutu, Pano 1, Flores, Indonesia 2014Kelimutu, Pano 3, Flores, Indonesia 2014IMG_5418IMG_5431IMG_5432IMG_5433Kelimutu, HDR 2, Flores, Indonesia 2014-2Kelimutu, Pano 4, Flores, Indonesia 2014
Nuff said…
IMG_5434
Lindsey, Stine and Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment