Photo Galleries

Friday 28 February 2014

18/02/2014 - Cycling SE Asia. Day 62 - Living life on the edge.

Distance cycled: 52.7km from Ende to Moni, Flores, Indonesia.
Average speed: 14.9km/h
Moving Time: 3h32m
Elevation Ascended: 1710m
Burned Calories: 2493kcal
Burned Fat: 323g
Total Distance on Current trip: 5569km
Distance until I have cycled the circumference of Earth: 14,181km
Money spent: $16

IMG_5190


View 18FEB14 in a larger map

image

The road between Ende and Moni was easily the most stunning  that I have found in Flores, it mostly ran parallel with a river scattered with shear cliff drops and scenic vistas that passed through quaint traditional villages and friendly village folk.
I was enjoying all what the morning had to offer until everything turned for the worst. As I was being distracted by the beautiful views I accidentally hit a small sharp rock that punctured my tire. I have mentioned before that my front tire is on its last legs and I am in dire need of a replacement; the tread is far from gone and I am cycling on the Kevlar. Only just was I able to repair the puncture using up the last of my rubber cement and so I was able to continue on.
Taking things slow and careful I then was stopped for half an hour waiting for the machinery to clear up the last of a landslide that blocked the road yesterday - obviously the wait could have been far lengthier but as I and the rest of the motorists twiddled our thumbs the afternoon storm clouds moved on in and the downpour began.
I have never cycled in such wet conditions before to the point where the road was more like a river but I spurred on to reach Moni. Continuing on watching the road walls disintegrate and collapse into mud put a scary thought in my mind, something that i saw the remains of just earlier in the day... What if the side of the mountain decided to slip away?
Finally making it to the top of the 12,000meter pass completely drenched I descended quicker than I anticipated into the town of Moni this is because my brakes no longer worked, rainwater and my bicycle really and dangerously do no work well together; however I made it to my destination unscathed, not buried under a landslide but also glad my tire got me this far, I won't be able to purchase another until I arrive in Makassar.
Speaking of which, yesterday i purchased my economy ticket from Maumere, Flores to Makassar, Sulawesi on a 24 hour boat due to depart in 3 days time... Plenty of time to get there... That is that all goes well.
Tomorrow in the early hours of the morning I get to climb another 600meters in altitude to visit Kelimutu for sunrise, perhaps the most iconic and visited sight of Flores. I have my fingers crossed for good weather.

IMG_5194

My first puncture in a very long time… I used the last of the tube of rubber cement… hopefully Ill make it to Maumere

IMG_5198IMG_5200

Waiting for the road to be cleared of debris

IMG_5205IMG_5207IMG_5210

Wet and overcast afternoon… still though, some beautiful views to behold.

IMG_5214

No comments:

Post a Comment