Photo Galleries

Friday 28 February 2014

16/02/2014 - Cycling SE Asia. Day 61 - Finally meeting some other touring cyclists.

Distance cycled: 87.9km from Ratangamobo to Ende, Flores, Indonesia.
Average speed: 18.6km/h
Moving Time: 4h43m
Elevation Ascended: 1332m
Burned Calories: 2742kcal
Burned Fat: 356g
Total Distance on Current trip: 5516km
Distance until I have cycled the circumference of Earth: 14,234km
Money spent: $ 12

IMG_5172

The blue stone beach


View 16FEB14 in a larger map

image
I'm exhausted so I am going to keep this brief.
Covering some considerable distance and making it to Ende just as a storm passed overhead I, all in all had a good day.
I stopped by the blue stone beach where locals collected the vibrant and smooth rocks that had washed ashore for export into Japan where apparently the demand is high. It was not as impressive as I expected but worth stopping to check out.
As I entered into Ende where I finished up the day I saw from a distance two pairs of skinny bicycle tires that were mounted to bicycles carrying a hell of a lot of gear... TOURING CYCLISTS! Yay! It had been such a long time since I came across people doing a similar thing to myself. It's a relief to share stories and feeling about gear and routes around countries and continents. Steve had cycled 62,000km around the world over 4 years, and his girlfriend Claire had joined him over the last 4,000km.
Both from England we shared much advice with one another but as we were all exhausted, we polished off out single beer at the hotel and went to bed.

Steve’s blog can be found at www.cyclingthe6.com

And Claire’s www.thebicycletracks.com

 

IMG_5138IMG_5161IMG_5163

A little bit of everything, Volcanoes, Coast and mountains.

IMG_5168IMG_5169IMG_5177IMG_5178

A quick stop off at the blue stone beach

IMG_5157

 

IMG_5181IMG_5185

Just as the rain clouds settled in as I was so close to Ende

IMG_5187

… also, this last image is of a statue on the side of the road… I suppose the artist didn’t think of what the backside of the peace sign was gesturing.

No comments:

Post a Comment