Photo Galleries

Friday 7 March 2014

20/02/2014 - Cycling SE Asia. Day 64 - Flores, done and dusted.

Distance cycled: 98.6km from Moni to Maumere, Flores, Indonesia.
Average speed: 17.6km/h
Moving Time: 5h35
Elevation Ascended: 1799m
Burned Calories: 3365kcal
Burned Fat: 436g
Total Distance on Current trip: 5698km
Distance until I have cycled the circumference of Earth: 14,052km
Money spent: $21

IMG_5485
View 20FEB14 - 500 in a larger map

image

The Lonely planet guide book read that cycling here in Flores is only suitable for those with Tour de France levels of stamina, endurance and strength but here I am at the end of my trip in Flores feeling somewhat disappointed because cycling here wasn't nearly as challenging as I expected.
At no point on the roads here did I need to dismount and push my bicycle up ridiculously steep hills, I sincerely wanted this as it would give me more of a sense of accomplishment.
Don't get me wrong, cycling Flores wasn't easy and certainly doing what I have done in the last week isn't something for most people.
Totaling over 500km of winding roads over mountains and volcanoes from the most westerly point of Flores to the largest city, Maumere; I enjoyed the cuisine, the local hospitality and pretty much everything this island has to offer, simply beautiful with mostly sealed roads and little to no traffic on them. Not to mention I cycled this distance on a bald front tire that is dire need of a replacement.
Thank you Flores, you are on par with Lombok with being my favorite place on Earth.

Again I got rained on today and the covers I use to "protect" my panniers from water are pretty well useless and so because I had some time in the evening after checking into a hotel I went shopping for duct tape and some sheet plastic, with these materials I knocked up several dry bags to line the panniers to stop my belongings getting (more) wet and/or damp.
Nothing I own right now is completely dry... Also my belongings are emitting a pungent bad odor, first thing I do when I get to Makassar is a huge load of laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment