Photo Galleries

Tuesday 8 July 2014

03/07/2014 - Cycling the Rockies on a Cheap Bike. Day 3


Distance cycled: 126.8km from Birch Island to somewhere between Blue River and Valemount, BC on highway 5
Average speed: 18.1Km/h
Moving Time: 7h00m
Elevation Ascended: 1655m
Burned Calories: 5146kcal
Burned Fat: 667 g
Total Distance on Current trip: 293km
Distance until I have cycled the circumference of Earth: 12,686km
Money spent: $10

IMG_2288

image


View Rockies Day 3 - 500 in a larger map

I spent a fair amount of time on my bike today but in no way did I push myself , the sun was out for most of the day and the tailwind picked up towards the afternoon so I took advantage of it as sailers would out on open water.  I can't say strong direct tailwind happens often but when it does it's certainly a treat to savor.. Or in my case, make it the first topic of conversation and try not to rub it in with a fellow touring cyclist from Quebec I briefly met in the afternoon.
The scenery today was stunning, surrounded by snow capped mountains, rivers, streams, and valleys; all things I would have rushed by if I was traveling by any other means than my bicycle.
I just said "my bicycle", it seems I'm getting quite fond of this walmart special..
Hmm, anyway, this bike got me up some steep terrain today and although it would be nice to have a dedicated climbing gear I was able to manage the steep ascent.
Nearly 128km in a day... I doubted doing anything like that on this bike through this terrain.
The afternoon the storm clouds moved in and I seeked refuge under my tarp on the side of the highway beside the staging area for helicopters where I pitched my tent and spent the night. Why would you pay $26 for the most basic camping spot at a campground in this country? Especially when you travel with everything you need. It's absurd!
This shift in weather as the sun was setting behind the storm clouds offered a sun shower mixed in with a faint rainbow and an obvious divide between the moist and dry areas amongst the soaring peaks raised up in both the northerly and southerly directions; the change was drastic with lightning striking the mountains around me and bared witness to something I had never seen before: the ignition of a small forest fire due to one of the lightning strikes

IMG_2201IMG_2203

Where I camped at the ranch

IMG_2216

They anticipated my arrival

IMG_2219IMG_2214IMG_2227-Edit Panorama-2IMG_2237IMG_2254IMG_2257IMG_2264IMG_2268IMG_2274IMG_2277IMG_2281IMG_2295

The views of Canada from Hwy 5

IMG_2286

ARRGGG!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment