Photo Galleries

Tuesday 8 July 2014

02/07/2014 - Cycling the Rockies on a Cheap Bike. Day 2


Distance cycled: 77.3km Latrempuille lake to Birch Island, British Columbia
Average speed: 18.3Km/h
Moving Time: 4h13m
Elevation Ascended: 875m
Burned Calories: 2853kcal
Burned Fat: 370g
Total Distance on Current trip: 166km
Distance until I have cycled the circumference of Earth: 12,813km
Money spent: $70

IMG_2158

image


View Rockies Day 2 - 500 in a larger map

What a way to start off the morning. Waking up on the water to a bunch of fauna to greet me or maybe eat my crumbled granola that I spilt on the pier.... And to descend the 10km downhill stretch at 50kph to the small one horse town of Little Fort with my front rack held on only by zip ties and duct tape; sketchy, I know but the adrenaline was worthwhile.
Swimming in the lake at Clearwater was certainly a necessity today because the heat of the sun was relentless, obviously a good time to relax as it is what we are suppose to do on these breaks from planting trees, and not to be peddling over the Rocky Mountains...
I spent a bit too much money today but with a positive and negative, the plus side is that I now have 3 days worth of groceries to provide sufficient energy for the trip but have to carry this weight all the way to Jasper which after looking at the terrain profile of the section of the Rockies I'm about to tackle is steadily steep with little to no downhill runs so making my trip a little more tedious.
I also bought myself a security measure, bear spray. On my last trip across Canada I had a close call with a bear walking around my tent due to my stupidity of not hoisting my food up a tree and had this bear sniff around my tent as I was writing this blog. It was a frightening experience and thankfully did not have to use the bear spray I had at the time but as a preventative from getting mauled by a huge mammal it's my best defense if there happens to be a repeat of an encounter.
Thankfully this evening I did not have to pitch my tent in the bush as the alternative dirt road I took running parallel to the highway took me to a ranch offering free camping. Shirley who looked after the ranch by herself hosted many music festivals on her property, Serenity Music which is the name of her land was set up with stages and all the facilities needed for such festivities. Although there was no festival going on at the time of arrival, Shirley, being the sweet soul that she is let me stay for free. www.serenitymusic.ca
Her Irish coffee cheese cake is also amazing!
Early night for me as at the rate I am going I am not going to be able to have a rest day between cycling and starting work again.

Tags: cycle touring, cycle touring on the cheap, walmart bicycle touring, free camping, cycle touring the Rockies, Rocky Mountains bicycle, photography, landscape photography, camping, pop can stove cooking, penny stove cooking, camping on the cheap, serenity music, birch island

IMG_2141IMG_2153

 

IMG_2163IMG_2165

Cycling down 8% grade with my front rack attached by zip ties and duct tape

IMG_2166

What an adrenaline pumping road!

IMG_2178IMG_2179

Chilling at a lake in Clearwater, BC

IMG_2183IMG_2187

Birch Island

IMG_2199

Food for the evening

No comments:

Post a Comment