Photo Galleries

Friday 4 July 2014

01/07/2014 - Cycling the Rockies on a Cheap Bike. Day 1


Distance cycled: 88.7km from 100 Mile house to Latremouille lake on Hwy 24
Average speed: 14.3km/h
Moving Time: 6h10m
Elevation Ascended: 1169m
Burned Calories: 4189 kcal
Burned Fat: 543g
Total Distance on Current trip: 88.7km
Distance until I have cycled the circumference of Earth: 12,890km
Money spent: $20

IMG_2094

image


View Rockies Day 1 in a larger map

Is it possible to load up an $165, Walmart bought, 21 speed bicycle for touring 650km over the Rocky Mountains? Well, let's see.

I've spent the last two months working my job here in Canada planting trees and it has been tough, back breaking work; it was about time for some time off. We now have a break between contracts from British Columbia to Alberta for 11 days and whilst on the block planting the other day I had the epiphany/great idea to cycle yet again over the Rockies to cover more kilometers towards my goal of cycling the distance of the circumference of earth.... on a crap bicycle as my normal bicycle had been left in Thailand along with most of my cycling gear.
Using my skills at fashioning up panniers from scrap parts after mounting the racks I performed a quick tune-up on the bicycle to check if everything was in order with the extremely cheap components... At this point I was doubting if this bicycle could make the distance but you know what, it could surprise me.
I started this perhaps lost cause of an adventure from 100 Mile House,  British Columbia in the caribou region and took hwy 24 that linked hwy 97 to hwy 5.
It was an incredibly scenic route with many lakes, near fluorescent trees and sky with plenty of friendly and helpful people. As it was Canada day weekend many people were camping and having a great time of the lake shores.
The handful of people I met and hung out with included a trio of South Africans who offered beer and good laughs. It was funny to hear Eden, Debbie and Patrick's near brash opinion of the Canadian peoples mannerisms and attitudes compared to the South Africans as due to safety concerns people are not nearly as friendly there than hear. Also, even they said traveling there in South Africa ( one place I have been hesitant to travel), whether cycling or backpacking would be incredibly dangerous that was followed up by a plethora of lip biting stories.
After a couple of beers and one for the road I continued in the still scorching afternoon sun on the highway up and over the mountain pass at 1300m and slowly descended down the hilly terrain towards Little Fort but found a turn off to a lame where I spent the evening with a couple from Vancouver.
Jean-mark and Laura were lovely and were cruising about BC finding lakes to canoe and camp. Laura and I got along very well talking all things photography till quite late at night before I needed to rest.

The bicycle held up fine today even over some dirt roads, severe headwinds and the excessive weight of my belongings. It's surprisingly ok albeit very uncomfortable.

Tags:

IMG_2070

Here we have it, a $165 bicycle from walmart

IMG_2075IMG_2077IMG_2079

 

IMG_2076

Not sure if my bike will fair well with bumpy dirt roads but as it turns out, it was just fine

IMG_2087IMG_2089IMG_2091IMG_2104

IMG_2096

 

IMG_2106IMG_2110IMG_2115

Highway 24, what an experience and I made my way out of the Cariboo.

IMG_2116

The Safa’s I met

IMG_2120

Im getting closer to the Rockies.

IMG_2118

I made it to the top of the mountain pass, thumbs up! Smile

IMG_2129IMG_2134

The beautiful Lake I camped.. on, I guess as that is my rent pitched on a pier.

No comments:

Post a Comment