Photo Galleries

Thursday 30 January 2014

25/01/2014 - Cycling SE Asia. Day 52 - Facebook access whilst cycling... Sad, no?

Distance cycled: 145km from just west of Ampang to Lakey beach (Hu'u province)
Average speed: 19.7km/h
Moving Time: 7h25m
Elevation Ascended: 1535m
Burned Calories: 3906kcal
Burned Fat: 507g
Total Distance on Current trip: 4923km
Distance until I have cycled the circumference of Earth: 14,827km
Money spent: $15

IMG_3473

This is where I slept last night – but what a lovely family.


View 25Jan14 in a larger map

image

Normally it's the case of a nearby mosques to wake me at a (apparently not so) God forsaken time in the morning but today was different; not more than two feet away from my head I had a rooster pursue its morning call again and again. I was incredibly close to grab my knife and rip the birds head off!

Ami last night and this morning was irritatingly persistent in asking for a gift or token of appreciation from this strange passerby on a bicycle. I had an idea in mind to give her something very sentimental to me, it was a small crystal that was given to me from Bernard who I met when crossing the Alps in Switzerland, he had carried it around the world when he cycled as I am doing now. When I explained that this item was very special to me and meant a hell of a lot she replied with "what am I going to do with this?". Obviously I could not give it to her after that response.
I left Ami and her family with no parting gift as they didn't even want my money when I offered them. They we're kind and happy to had met me so I suppose that is enough, I guess.
Following the coastal road I in the searing heat of the sun I often asked people how many kilometers Hu'u was from where I was, the answer is the same that I have experienced in many countries around the world, it is always greatly exaggerated.
I know how far it is that I am going as i have a GPS system but when I ask it is a social experimental to see what locals think. Just q little advice to these people: If you don't know, tell me you don't know, please oh please don't lie to me!
Speaking of this new GPS system I found out that I can purchase a SIM card and access 3G connections accessing the web and even Facebook. Of course this isn't necessary whatsoever but its a welcome addition to my gear and kit. However I am sure that my next accident, which is of course inevitable will be the result of me writing an email or googling something that I need an answer to. I'll try and restrain myself and do these aforementioned things when stationary.

Long, hilly and windy cycling south down the 43km sealed road from Dompu to Hu'u, I was exhausted and just wanted to get to the beach and relax; it seemed almost never ending with me getting slightly fed up with responding to the locals "hello mister". But I was given a second wind and pushed myself to my final destination of a surf spot called Lakey beach... Too bad I'm not a surfer.
I met some of the local surfers, Westerners and Indonesians alike before getting some food and going to bed. It's low season and not many people about, but whatever the case I'm happy to spend at least two nights here to relax after having cycled close to 400km in 3 days.

IMG_3474IMG_3479IMG_3482IMG_3483

Animals and Views of the coast

IMG_3489

Making it to the top Smile

IMG_3497IMG_3499

On my way to and arriving at Lakey Beach near Hu’u, Sumbawa

No comments:

Post a Comment