Photo Galleries

Thursday 30 January 2014

24/01/2014 – Cycling SE Asia. Day 51 - Damn! I've jinxed myself!

Distance cycled: 139km from Motong to Labuan Bontong, Sumbawa, Indonesia.
Average speed: 20.2km/h
Moving Time: 6h52m
Elevation Ascended: 914m
Burned Calories: 3446kcal
Burned Fat: 447g
Total Distance on Current trip: 4778km
Distance until I have cycled the circumference of Earth: 14,972km
Money spent: $12

IMG_3463

The simple life!

View 24JAN14 in a larger map

image

Yesterday I was saying how the roads in Indonesia have been great with little to no issues with the condition of them; but also hoping I wouldn't jinx myself by saying so. However this morning I experienced some awful, muddy and pothole riddled roads to get back to the main Australian built highway that scythes across Lombok that once in a while offers wide bicycle friendly shoulders. I am so sure that no other westerner had ever come this way before; so I suppose I'll look at that as a positive thing.. Despite the relentless rain.
One thing I did not mention in yesterday's post was the crazy storm that hit me and my tent just as I finished writing the draft for this blog, and speaking of 'drafts', what I experienced was crazy unforgiving gale force winds that ripped my tarp in half and shook my tent like there was no tomorrow interrupting what I thought would be a good nights rest; ill be now hesitant to camp on or next to the beach during the monsoon season here in SE Asia.
But today I cycled quite a long way, the last twenty kilometers of which was when the sun was setting and I was searching for a place to camp but because I was on the low flooded plains near the coast there wasn't any suitable places to pitch my tent. Thankfully though a friendly family called me into their home and I was set up for a place to sleep.
Ami, who surprisingly spoke English lived with her husband and her family in a tiny shack on a cow grazing, hilly piece of land. The family were lovely but very poor, they helped me out greatly offering me a place to sleep so tomorrow ill pay my dues and give them what I can.


On a side note I slightly changed the statistics at the beginning of every post to make it more intuitive for me to input.

IMG_3462IMG_3461

Ahhhh, Sumbawa! I love this place and its people… and food!

IMG_3472

The locals who invited me to sleep at their place… you will see in tomorrows post that they really are quite poor but willing to help a complete stranger

No comments:

Post a Comment