Photo Galleries

Saturday 28 December 2013

11/12/2013 - Cycling SE Asia. Day 34 - Suspension on this road would be nice.

Distance cycled: 114km from Probolinggo to 70km northwest of Banguwani, Indonesia.
Average speed: 21.8km/h
Moving time: 5h12m
Total distance: 3549km
Border X'ings: 3
Money spent: $18

IMG_1382


View 11dec13 in a larger map

image

I really do love cycling, the wind in your hair, 92 miles of head room, the freedom... However one thing I cannot cope with are terribly maintained roads; the first 20km heading east out of Probolingo was some of the worst asphalt I have ever had to endure. The thing is that the roads are maintained here but done so in such a bad way that the road workers might as well have left it with pot holes. I was so fed up with having my seat constantly punch me in the testes I positioned myself in the middle of the road where things were smoother despite the extra honking of vehicles from both directions.
It was a pretty uneventful day, I got caught in the rain a few times and locals let me seek shelter under their shop verandas, some tasty and nasty food (it's a hit or a miss here in Indonesia) and finding a nice camping spot just before the sunset. Tomorrow I'll check out this national park on the way to Banguwani which is the port town to get over to Bali but before I will go to another island I want to trek up Kemah Ijen, this is a volcano where you can enter the caldera and see blue lava due to the large amount of liquid sulfur deposits. I have a slight problem though, I need to extend my visa and I don't know how long the process takes; I have a week from this day before my current visa expires. I'll have to figure this out very soon.

 IMG_1376IMG_1435IMG_1381

No comments:

Post a Comment