Photo Galleries

Tuesday 17 December 2013

10/12/2013 - Cycling SE Asia. Day 33 - Mount Bromo offering its spectacular beauty.

Distance cycled: 63.4km from Mount Bromo to Probolingo, Indonesia
Average speed: 13.8km/h
Moving time: 4h34m
Total distance: 3435km
Border X'ings: 3
Money spent: $16

IMG_1237


View 10dec13 in a larger map

image
I am going to try write this post in such a way that it encapsulates how epically amazing today entailed, however I might sound like a broken record and tell you that I am once again exhaustedly ruined. Still, I'll try my best before I inevitably crash out hard.
3am, clear black skies, stars sparkling, 5km of steep debris strewn roads and my MacGyver'ed contraption that kept my tent somewhat slightly warm (refer to yesterday's post) to reach the highest altitude I have managed to climb in the last 24,000km of cycling around the world.
I was eager to see this highlight of Java, it is the viewpoint at 2800m above sea level looking over one of three emerging volcanoes from the Tengger caldera that later I got the opportunity to cycle on.
Reaching this viewpoint just before the sun rose over this serene landscape dripping with sweat and struggling for breath I gathered and propped myself amongst the massing crowds of tourists to watch and photograph the beauty of the view unfold as the sun progressively illuminated our surroundings.
Now, was it worth putting myself through such hardship to get here? Hell yeah it was! The pictures below don't do the views justice despite my efforts of using Adobe Lightroom to make these photos really pop.
I honestly didn't do any research about what there was to see in this national park other than this viewpoint so it was a surprise for me when cycling over the flat and sketchy volcanic dirt path over the caldera floor to be able to hike to the mouth of Bromo; of course it was near impossible to get my bike up there so I set off on foot climbing the countless stairs to the edge of the sulfur and ash expelling pimple on the Earth. A wonderful experience.
Descending the roads northeast towards Probolinggo was not fun for the first 1000m of descent as I cooked my brakes and my rims, the horrible sound of grinding with the immense heat buildup on these components made me try and take things easier but as the road improved and became less troublesome I was able to enjoy the adrenaline of cycling immensely fast without peddling for many kilometers down to sea level and also where I'd be spending a well deserved relaxed afternoon and evening in Probolinggo.
It is very difficult to find a decent Internet connection in Indonesia and seldom have I come across an Internet cafe with wifi; unfortunately my laptop does not have a LAN connection to connect so I walked about the streets of Probolinggo searching for wifi signals. Eventually I found a metal fabricator distributer where the owner was happy for me to access the Internet to update this blog, he was even generous enough to give me dinner too, what a guy!

IMG_1163

Making it to the viewpoint looking over Semeru National park, Indonesia.

IMG_1170IMG_1187IMG_1175

And the sun rises!

IMG_1200IMG_1229IMG_1262 PanoramaIMG_1238IMG_1254IMG_1261

IMG_1243 Panorama

More pictures overviewing the Semeru National Park

 

IMG_1287-EditIMG_1292

..and with help of my tripod

IMG_1305 PanoramaIMG_1357IMG_1360

This is Bromo

IMG_1364

On the way down to sea level

No comments:

Post a Comment