Photo Galleries

Saturday 26 October 2013

13/10/2013 - Cycling SE Asia. Day 5

Distance cycled: 108km from ... To Bo Mao Beach

Average speed: 19.9km/h

Moving time:5h24m

Total distance: 515km

Border X'ings: 0

Money spent: 300 Baht ($10)


View 13OCT13 in a larger map

 

image

I made a big mistake today. Nothing in terms of heading the wrong direction which can be irritating but being lost is part of the fun, however what I did today was stupid. I ran out of money and as I was cycling the scenic route there were no ATMs to withdraw some cash.

It was around midday when I realized that I did not have enough for water or food but I am in Thailand and the people are friendly so when cycling I waved my upturned water bottle to passersby and they gratefully pulled over and offered me refreshing drinks; I did this on two occasions.

I was pointed out that there was an ATM in a nearby village and happily I headed there to get some money for food. When I got there I found a group of workers repairing the damn thing so I waited around in the blistering sun until it was fixed, unfortunately they were not able to fix it and I was left with only a few packets of sticky rice to feed me until I reached the town of Chumpon 60km away!

There was no way I was going to make it there before nightfall but hopefully I would find something or someone on the way; and that's when I ran into a group of 4 Spaniards cycle touring around SE Asia and also the world. They were happy to help me out when I was in such desperate need to chow down some food. I simply love it when things just sort themselves out like this.

Today was perfect with some small climbs, quite roads and beautiful scenery also finding a place to camp behind an abandoned building on Bo Mao Beach where, at the time of arrival the colour difference between the soon to be night sky the calm ocean could not be differentiated. IMG_9126

First night using my tent

 

 

IMG_9127IMG_9131IMG_9139IMG_9153IMG_9150

Along the way

IMG_9138

A bicycle path Smile

IMG_9154IMG_9159

The only ATM around for 60km.. and with no money I thankfully met these Spaniards who were able to help me out

No comments:

Post a Comment