Photo Galleries

Friday 29 March 2013

26/03/2013 - Oslo to ... Back to Antalya. Day 102

Distance cycled: 29.9km from where I was yesterday to Sultanhani
Average speed: 18.7km/h
Moving time: 1h36
Total distance: 8756km
Border X'ings: 22
Money spent: 25 lira


View 26mar13 in a larger map

image
Today was a little bit of a half assed effort in terms of getting anywhere, I really should have continued for at least another 50 odd kilometers but the wind from the north west progressively became too terrible for me to bare so i pulled into the small carpet producing village of Sultanhani, here when I checked the forecast at the Internet cafe I found that the wind was not going to let up and as such decided to stay.
I found a small camping ground on the outskirts of town where I met the owner, Rashim, who was also a carpet salesman. He was kind enough to show me about town and of course try and sell me a $400 carpet but as I am homeless I would obviously have no where to put it. The town even had some carpets laid down on the road for whatever reason but it was something new to see and something to remember about Sultanhani; I got to meet the majority of the town as Rashim knew everyone and I even met the carpet repair men who endure working with a single carpet for up to 6 months.
I was offered dinner (a dismal portion) and tea at the camp sight and helped removing the branches and debris from some lopped trees, good honest physical labour for one who likes to help out. Lets see tomorrow when I pay of I get a discount for the 2 hours I spent cleaning up the site.
---
As it turns out all the work I did yesterday did not pay off :(

IMG_5625IMG_5626IMG_5628

Im a pretty terrible tourist, Rashim took me here to check it out but i wasnt bothered about reading the history behind it… all i know it is in Sultanhani – if you want you can do the research for me

IMG_5633

This guy has been working on that very carpet for 4 months, simply repairing it with a crochet hook… I’m sure its more complicated than that…

IMG_5641

No comments:

Post a Comment