Photo Galleries

Thursday 28 March 2013

20/03/2013 – Oslo to ... Day 100

Distance cycled: 110km from... to Göreme, Cappadocia
Average speed: 18.6km/h
Moving time: 5h54m
Total distance: 8614km
Border X'ings: 22
Money spent: 55 lira.


View 20mar13 in a larger map

image
Can you believe it? 100 days of cycling from Norway to reach what is the furthest east ill be traveling on my bike on this trip. Does this mean that this bike trip is now over? Of course not! I still have 2 weeks before I fly out of Antalya, I have no need to rush and so I'll just take my time to get back there.
So, today. Today's cycling was as boring as it can possibly be flat along the high plains towards Cappidocia with nothing of interest other than the several celebratory ice creams I bought along the way to treat myself.
I could tell that Cappadocia was getting closer as the masses of tourist buses seemed to plague the highway, this and the drivers seeming not to care about me on my bike (more so than usual) , flying on by mere centimeters from my handlebar and getting thrown about the slipstream of the larger vehicles.
Arriving in the cappadocia area it's small wonder that tourists in the bus loads flock to the deep center of Turkey, the lunar like landscape surrounds many small villages where locals dug into the rock to build their homes, some, maybe most of these cave dwellings are now boutique hotels or some sort of tourist attraction. It's the place to come for hiking, spectacular sunsets and hot air balloon rides - which recently there was a malfunction on a balloon killing 14, I think perhaps Ill avoid this not due to the accident but because it costs an arm and a leg.
As it was my 100th day of cycling I wanted to find a hostel where I could meet some travelers and have a good time celebrating my achievement, I cycled everywhere around Goreme finding many cheap places but none that had any guests until I came across a Swiss guy (Samuel) who was also cycling, his hotel was a bit on the pricy end but he was there with his buddy, Andreas (who was a bit of a dick) and an older French guy (Fuk?) who cycled down from Russia. For those who read this and who know me I am a charismatic crazy one when it comes to meeting new people, I don't hold back and this is my character. I could tell my enthusiasm when hanging out with these three guys was perhaps taken irritably but the truth is that there was nothing said whatsoever if I wasn't talking.
Anyway after a couple of beers and everyone wanting to go to bed I did the same, ill move to another hostel tomorrow.

 

IMG_5427IMG_5422IMG_5430IMG_5433IMG_5434IMG_5435IMG_5437IMG_5438IMG_5442

This is Cappidocia, the furthest east ill be cycling on this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment