Photo Galleries

Sunday 28 October 2012

23/10/2012 - Oslo to Israel. Day 40–Why pay for a camp sight?

Distance cycled: 92.7km from Bellano to 2km from Aprica, Italy
Average speed: 15.7km/h
Moving time: 5h54m
Total distance: 3560km
Border X'ings: 13
Money spent: €13


View 23oct12 in a larger map 

image

Today was the earliest morning I have woken on this trip to prepare myself for a long day. But, by no means did this enable me to cover the distance I wanted to.
The morning frost chilled and stiffened my muscles and I found it difficult at first to push hard. It also didn't help that I cut up my shin on my peddle whilst rushed to move when I was catching my breath on the side of the road oblivious to a car behind waiting to move into a parking spot I was blocking.
It wasn't a good morning until I found a Lidl supermarket to fill up on nice cheap junk food and groceries. Here I met a Israeli woman who invited me to her fast food restaurant a few towns east down the valley I was cycling.
I went to her shop but waited half an hour until it opened; she was very kind but predominately seemed to dislike certain races of people, she is Israeli after all. But I was very grateful for the sandwich and coffee she made up for me and also for a power point where I could charge me belongings.
The main road I cycled on, again, like the rest of Italian roads had no shoulder and I did my best to keep to the far right.
Google doesn't seem to have Italian cycle routes available for me to upload to my GPS and so I didn't know of any until I stumbled across one after midday, this is where I met a skateboarder named ken who gave me some advice about the upcoming roads. The cycle route I took is not well sign posted so I ended up cycling a unnecessary 300m climb by accident. At least the view of the valley was nice.
Getting later in the afternoon I was surprised to have to climb 1000m in altitude over 13km to a ski town called Aprica; I found this more difficult than Gotthard pass I cycled in Switzerland the other day but I made it to the top as the sun was setting and of course I grabbed a celebratory beer.
Being as it is a mountain town things were very expensive including camping at a sight. As I stated in the heading of this post 'why should I pay for camping?', they were asking €15 for pitching my tent. The only facility I needed was the shower but I suppose I could go on for another day without one.
Camping at 1111meters in altitude 2km down the road for free sounds better for me.

IMG_1679

Meeting Ken whilst he was skateboarding

IMG_1681IMG_1682

IMG_1685

Lunch… just a fat ass sandwich

IMG_1687IMG_1699IMG_1695

IMG_1701

IM going to miss the Alps when i get out of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment