Photo Galleries

Sunday 28 October 2012

22/10/2012 - Oslo to Israel. Day 39–The Land of Pizza and Pasta

Distance cycled: 105km from Close to Lugano, switzerland to Bellano, Italy on the lake shore of Como lake.
Average speed: 16.1km/h
Moving time: 6h30m
Total distance: 3467km
Border X'ings: 13
Money spent: €25, for groceries, a ferry trip across Como lake and ice-cream.


View 22oct12 in a larger map


 

image

Switzerland, you were undoubtedly the best country I have cycled yet. Italy on the other hand not so good for cycling.
There were no shoulders on the roads I took today in Italy today, in fact much of the cliff face I cycled against where a shoulder should have been would have residing paint from where cars clipped the rock face with shards of mirror that had laid there for what seemed to be quite some time having the risk of puncturing a tire. It got to the point today where I refused to put on my headphones as I really needed to hear from behind what quite possibly could kill me.
This wasn't the worst of it either, the tunnels that I passed through were dark and relatively long and without my tail light I honestly would not have gone through.
On a lighter note, no pun intended, the sun was again out with temperatures reaching 24 degrees.
Most of the day was spent cycling around Como lake that offered some hilly terrain but with some slight headwind.
Crossing into Italy where I don't know a word of italian was rather difficult, the only things I know how to say are 'Gracias', 'gracias mil' and 'ciao'; what I found weird though was that people seemed to say "ciao" as a form of 'hello'.
Anyways, it was a good day despite the lack of shoulder on the roads of Italy.
I found my resting place, I mean this in terms of camping rather than where I would die - but from my experience today this is not far from the possibility, on a small peninsula 2 minutes from a camping ground that I refused to pay money for.
I cooked up a pasta dish for dinner that mum would have been proud of and crashed. Not to confuse you but by crash I mean slept as opposed to got myself into an accident… but these are Italian roads…

IMG_1606

Slept behind an abandoned hotel

IMG_1609

This is Lidl peoples, take note as it has the cheapest groceries you can find

IMG_1619IMG_1622IMG_1626

Lugano, my last stop in Switzerland

IMG_1635

Crossing the border, i asked the border control for a passport stamp but they said no… Sad smile

IMG_1640

Italian structures

IMG_1641IMG_1645

I stopped in Faggeto for a very gay icecream

IMG_1651IMG_1653IMG_1660

Leaving Belagio, Italy

IMG_1674

This is Varenna, Italy

IMG_1675

Aussie Flag in the background

No comments:

Post a Comment