Photo Galleries

Sunday 18 September 2011

16/09/2011 Day 23 Cycling Across Canada

Distance Traveled: Somewhere down the Trans-Canadian Highway ***N 48 48.220 W086 46.722*** to Further East 15 km from White River ***N 48 39.634 W085 27.504*** 116km
Money Spent: $0 but found $40 in a pair of socks – Frank, if your reading this, that really wasn’t necessary, nice gesture though - next time I pass through Thunder Bay Ill have to do something nice for you!
Time cycling: 6 hours 02 min
Moving Average: 19.1km/h
Total Distance Traveled: 1931 km



View Larger Map

TP


So much for having an early start, it was freezing last night and the sun didnt hit my tent till after 9. Painstakingly cold I managed to hop out of my sleeping bag and tent to find my bike and tent covered in frost, even the water in the bottle I left outside had frozen.
Despite the fact I left pretty much all my gear on my bike to get an early start it took the longest time for me to warm up enough to get going.
I was struggling whilst cycling, not enjoying the cycle trip what-so-ever. The ups were achingly steep and the downhills too frosty to enjoy.
It wasnt until after midday where I had a break just outside of Marathon where the weather warmed up and where I met some young bikers crossing the country that got me a little bit more enthusiastic about cycling.
Also Tabatha who worked at the hotel helped me out with connecting to the Wi-Fi and also a very friendly girl to chat to.
Looking at the road map there is no way I can make it to even Sudbury before the 20th so it looks like ill have to get a bus from Sault Ste. Marie to Toronto... this way I can enjoy this cycle trip with being too stressed about seeing mum and dad in less than a week.
My average went from 16km/h to 19km/h within an hour after this break and again I started to enjoy the ride apart of course from my sore ass and aching legs.
As the sun was going down I found a rocky but ok place to camp for the night where hopefully the sun will be heating things up as it rises in the morning.

IMG_0141-1024 IMG_0142-1024 IMG_0143-1024

Where i camped behind some road work machinery, and you can see all the frost over my stuff.

IMG_0146-1024

A small glimpse of Lake Superior and its surroundings, with me being blinded by the sun.

IMG_0148-1024

Me, Jordan and CJ at a truck stop

IMG_0152-1024

Camping another night…. when was the last time i had a shower?

2 comments:

  1. Hey man, pleasure meeting you last night, have a great trip!

    -Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks buddy, hope you have a great birthday... and have a drink for me!
    Take care man
    now going wine tasting with your folks...lets see how red i can get :)

    ReplyDelete