Photo Galleries

Wednesday 28 September 2011

17/09/2011 Day 24 Cycling Across Canada

Distance Traveled: 15 km from White River to the information centre in Wawa 112km
Money Spent: $6 for more stove fuel
Time cycling: 6 hours 10 min
Moving Average: 18.1km/h
Total Distance Traveled: 2043 km


View Larger Map

Terrain Profile


I did pick a good spot to camp last night as the warm morning sun woke me although I was camped on bits of broken asphalt so it wasnt comfortable to find a good laying position.
Anyways I got back on the road and it was nice that the sun was out, I stopped at White River to stock up on some more stove fuel and to use the internet to contact Mum and Dad in England – just to let them know what my plans are on how and when ill be arriving in Toronto in a couple of days.
My plan now is only to cycle to Sault Ste. Marie then either hitch hike with the bike from there to Toronto but if that does not work ill just get on the Greyhound bus again.
One thing I have noticed about Ontario is that there are a shitload or should I say piss-load of bottles filled with piss in the ditches beside the highway, maybe it has something to do with truckers not having the time to get a toilet break but to be honest its pretty disgusting.
I was up against plenty of headwind today and this really ruins my mood to the point where I almost gave up and called it a day after only cycling 50km, im putting in so much more effort when going downhill when normally I would be just coasting – no effort required.
I arrived at the town of Wawa which is a dead spot if you were ever to hitchhike from here – people just would not pick you up.
I went to the visitor center and spoke to some girls from the town asking them for a place I could pitch my tent and be hidden away... the girls suggest right there in the corner of the visitor center parking lot so I took their recommendation. I chatted to Laurie, Michelle and Malinda for a little while but they returned soon after with some food and hot chocolate from Tim Hortons. Now, I swear I did not ask for any type of gratuity – it was just a friendly gesture. So thank you girls :)


IMG_0158-1024


1000km mark in Ontario!


P1150674-1024 IMG_0159-1024 IMG_0161-1024


The Goose in Wawa


IMG_0163-1024 IMG_0164-1024


The girls i met at the info Center who shouted me dinner! :)


IMG_0168-1024




View of Sunset from Information Center in Wawa

No comments:

Post a Comment