Photo Galleries

Sunday 18 September 2011

14/09/2011 Day 21 Cycling Across Canada

Distance Traveled: Thunder Bay to Schreiber 207.5km

Money Spent: $10 for pizza with Heath
Time cycling: 10 hours 58 min
Moving Average: 18.9km/h
Total Distance Traveled: 1764 km


View Larger Map

terrain profile

Today was by far one of the hardest days I have ever cycled, I had everything from crazy strong headwinds to hail, rain and even some flurries of snow.
On top of this I had to cover 200km + kilometers to make it from Franks place in Thunder Bay to his friends place in Schreiber where I would hopefully be getting a place to sleep inside as the forecast mentioned it was going to get down to -3 degrees Celsius.
Its a shame I have no way to log the temperature for the days cycling as today the temperature fluctuated incredibly, especially in the late afternoon where my cycle-computer read -.--°C but it was easily between 1 and 3 degrees.
Today was also the first day on this trip where I met another cyclist headed in the same direction; Heath who I joined for pizza started in Victoria, BC and was making it as far as Prince Edward Island. This is the same route I was taking but seeing the weather as I did today I think I’m not getting as far as Quebec City, I reckon ill save the rest of Canada for another trip where the weather is more predictable and warm.
I was sitting on my bike seat peddling away for 11 hours today with only 2 hours of stopping time – it was harsh but I made it, although I arrived several hours into the night – mum, you wouldnt be happy with me – cycling along the Trans Canadian Highway just with a dimming headlamp with a depleting battery, without a tail light, on slick wet roads, cold and being blinded by the high beams of the oncoming traffic. It was a frightening experience but for some reason or another I enjoyed it; it was frightening but also different.
Thankfully for me I and also to keep mum happy I met some caravaners on the side of the road who just lit up a joint and got chatting for me for a little while and made the effort to remove their tail light from one of their bikes and give it to me, something I certainly needed at this time of night as it was pitch black.

I arrived at Larry's place at... actually I have no idea as all my time telling devices are set to different time zones across Canada and I couldnt be bothered to figure it out because I was freezing cold and delusional from exhasting myself all day, but lets just say it was late.
I knocked on Larry's door but there was no answer, Frank told me if he was not home I could camp in his backyard – uncomfortably damp and cold I managed to pitch my tent get my stove started and make some tea and some noodles – throwing in all the leftovers I had handy, it kept me warm and put me to sleep right away.

IMG_0098-1024 IMG_0102-1024

Frank and I in Thunder Bay

IMG_0103-1024 IMG_0105-1024

Cycling out of Thunder Bay… All the road works making things a little difficult.

IMG_0107-1024 IMG_0106-1024 IMG_0108-1024

Meeting Heath, as you can see he is cycling with a lot less gear, hence him making haste

IMG_0109-1024 IMG_0110-1024

Meeting Martin and Judy who would pick me up if they saw me again to give me a ride to toronto.

IMG_0124-1024

As the sun was setting.

Bike Tour, Sunset, Lake Superior, Canada 2011 HDR-1024

A great example of a HDR image – now my desktop wallpaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment