Photo Galleries

Thursday 15 September 2011

13/09/2011 Day 20 Cycling Across Canada

Distance Traveled: Upsala to Thunder Bay 149km
Money Spent: $10 for brekky at a truckstop
Time cycling: 6 hours 41 min
Moving Average: 22.3km/h
Total Distance Traveled: 1556.5 km


View Larger Map

terrain profile

I'm so glad that I was able to sleep in the camper because it seemed to be a very cold night, frost lightly blanketed the grass and an instant chill hit me as soon as I walked out of the camper.
Before I mounted my bike I had a very good breakfast to munch down whilst sorting out a place to stay in Thunder Bay using the website 'warm-showers'.
After graciously thanking everyone at the restaurant I hit the road, it was still chilly but for the first couple of hours I had a fantastic tail wind heading down an arrow straight road towards Thunder Bay, I was in cruise control for the majority of it just drifting off in my own mind, replaying films in my head, thinking of photoshop ideas to pass the time.
Whilst cycling along I was stopped by a truck offering me drinks and food – YAY, more free shit. The two guys that hopped out (Scott and RP) they worked for the support crew for a group of cyclist crossing the country for a charity to raise funds for kids with cancer. They had literally a truck load of food that they were willing to give away to me for, get this, absolutely nothing. I can honestly say I got over $100 worth of energy bars, candy and gels, fruit, canned goods, Nutella, PB&J, Chocolate milk even some meatballs in tomato sauce that were leftovers from the previous night – SCORE!!!
Scott and RP invited me to where the cyclists would be camping for the night outside the mall in Thunder Bay, that was still 50km away so with a happy grin of chocolate milk on my face I gunned it along the highway to meet them.
I had an idea in my head soon after thinking I could participate in the event to cycle with the others, surely I was up to shape and I could have used the support vehicles to keep hold of my belongings covering some extra distance meaning I could meet with mum and dad in Toronto without having to get some other means of transportation.
The cyclists supporting the charity were wearing full-on one piece spandex suits with bicycles that you could lift with one finger. Me on the other hand am generally shirtless with swim shorts with a bicycle loaded with gear that most people cant even lift off the ground.

Oh, thats the other thing, these cyclists dont have to bring anything on their bikes other than their bottle of water! everything they own the support crew carry, they even have a masseuse on the team. WTF! i want cycling across Canada to be this easy.
I would have loved to have joined the event but when meeting with Scott he told me it wasnt possible. Oh, well.
A little bit disappointed I made my way to Frank Pollari's place who I organized to stay with through 'warm-showers' and along the highway I found a coin purse with a whole $2.78 in there – ill take that :)
Frank and his girlfriend Marcy were like all warm-showers hosts were very hospitable and great people. Frank and I got along very well sharing stories of travelling over a few beers and a lovely pasta dish Marcy cooked up for me. I had a much needed shower and after some emailing and internet stuff I went to bed.
Frank and Marcy were people I would have loved to spend more time with but I have to deadline to meet my parents in a week and I have to get cycling; hopefully I will see them somewhere down the track.

IMG_0074-1024 IMG_0076-1024 IMG_0078-1024 IMG_0079-1024

Leaving the Truckstop and where i spent the night in a Camper

IMG_0080-1024 P1150655-1024P1150657-1024

Dead straight road, where i stopped for my second breakfast – also maybe the last time zone ill be crossing for this trip but it all depends on how far i cycle across the country.

IMG_0083-1024

Does this mean its all downhill from here? nope, I was hopeful though

P1150665_6_7_tonemapped-1024P1150659_60_61_tonemapped-1024

HDR’s of some things i saw along the way – I’m still working on my tone mapping skills

IMG_0085-1024 IMG_0086-1024 IMG_0087-1024

Scott and Rp giving me all the food – what great guys!

IMG_0088-1024 IMG_0089-1024

Almost at Thunder Bay

IMG_0095-1024

At the city limits

IMG_0097-1024

Cant see much from these photos but these guys get everything they need,




No comments:

Post a Comment