Photo Galleries

Saturday 28 March 2015

28/01/2015 - Cycle Touring New Zealand - Day 21 - Not the best of days.

IMG_9451

Distance cycled:  75.9km from Clevedon to Pipiroa, north island, New Zealand
Average speed: 15.7km/h
Moving Time: 4h49m
Elevation Ascended: 457m
Total Distance on Current trip: 1,353km
Distance until I have cycled the circumference of Earth: 7,054km
Money spent: $2

image

Marlieke was happy to cycle the second part of the day because of it being flat however we got some serious headwind which soon frustrated us. This, along with a flat tire on my bike, the lack of places to camp because of the bare open flat landscape and me feeling ill from either dehydration or exhaustion, today was a full-on day.
On top of all this we spent the morning cycling the onsets of sudden downpours leaving us to sporadically and frantically search for some shelter under a tree.
After such a... day... I was looking forward to some good food I was keen to cook up when we finally managed to find a place to sleep in a van can't room at the back of the only open shop in the sparsely populated town of Pipirua. Pete and Gale were kind enough to help us out. Anyway, as I was saying, after settling into this room I began to cook up a vegetable and vermicelli soup which at first was fine but my stove and stand acted up and we lost a lot of it when it fell to the ground. Having salvaged what I could Marlieke accidentally added a shit tone of chilli to the mix making it nearly inedible.
Let's just say it wasn't the best of days.

Also, As my back was and is still killing me I did want to spend some time bathing in what I understood was a natural hot spring; we went to check out Miranda hot springs, only to be disappointed but it being a heated swimming pool set at an extortionate rate of $14 pp! Screw that!
There was nothing natural about this hot spring because a sign read "if there is a power outage customers will not be reimbursed". What a gimmick!

IMG_9392

IMG_9402IMG_9439

IMG_9455

No comments:

Post a Comment