Photo Galleries

Friday 26 December 2014

24/10/2014 - Cycle Touring Japan - Day 31 - Mount Unzen was a wise choice.

 

IMG_1706


Distance cycled: 85.6km from Obama to Kikuyo, Kyushu, Japan. 
Average speed: 15.6Km/h
Moving Time: 5h29m
Elevation Ascended: 2486m
Total Distance on Current trip: 2,653km
Distance until I have cycled the circumference of Earth: 9,637km
Money spent: $27

image

Where I camped on the beach was awfully close to the tide when it rolled in. A foot closer to the water and I would have woken up in it.
I woke up on the wrong side of bed today as my sleep was interrupted by another large animal rustling around in the bushes very close to where I was camping. I was able to eventually gather myself and my belongings to set off cycling to the top of Mount Unzen passing through the town of Obama -  a tourist town/ fishing village with many onsens and a hell of a lot of steam bellowing from the gutters, chimneys, doors, windows.. Everywhere really. Apparently at one point this town sold President Obama merchandise. I didn't stick around town for any longer than it took to drink a cup of coffee because I had to ascend almost a kilometer in altitude to reach Unzen national park.
The road was quite and wasn't all that difficult to climb; stopping only once to take a photo I didn't overly exert myself. I've mentioned before I like to climb mountains because it gives more of a sense of accomplishment with the added bonus of a long downhill run.
The national park of Unzen was neat with lots of steaming hot springs with of course the odor of rotten eggs (sulfur).
I hiked to the peak of Mt. Yadake that stands at 940m knowing that taking my bicycle to Nita pass was prohibited. I would have liked to look into the caldera of this volcano but soon I'll be arriving at Mt. Aso which has the largest caldera in the world so it's not a big loss not seeing this one.
This downhill road back to the sea was epic, a huge smile on my face with perhaps many dead insects splattered over my teeth.. of course that was an exaggeration but gives you an idea of how much I enjoyed it.
I had to get a ferry to Kumamoto from Shimabara which worked out nicely as it departed just as I arrived so I got my ticket and hopped on, I tried talking to two cyclists on what seemed to be a day trip and I gestured my way through the conversation also offering come cookies I bought, they didn't talk back to me or to themselves for that matter but upon arrival they cycled away without so much as a "thanks" or "goodbye".. Assholes. Even though they were in their spandex outfits I was able to catch them up and tell them that they need to say "thank you" for giving them food and a simple "goodbye" wouldn't go a miss. I know at least one guy comprehended what I was getting across.
Anyways, Kumomoto is a BIG city and I was trying my best efforts to get out of it before things got too dark as I desperately looked for a place to camp. Cycling just as the dark of night came I found an old farming road which led to an overgrown land mass to which to set up for the night, it's certainly not ideal but it will do.

 

IMG_1691

The town of Obama

IMG_1695

Cycling up the mountain.

IMG_1702IMG_1709

Playing in the smelly steam

 

IMG_1714IMG_1720

IMG_1723

IMG_1737IMG_1744

Climbing by foot to a view point

IMG_1797

IMG_1798-dualiso

Sun setting over the plains where I camped

No comments:

Post a Comment