Photo Galleries

Sunday 23 November 2014

18/09/2014 - Cycle Touring Japan - Day 3 - Cycling to Station 5 of Mount Fuji

 

IMG_8216

Distance cycled: 52.5km from Yamanakako lake to Fujiyoshida and up to station 5 of Mount Fuji.
Average speed: 13.9Km/h
Moving Time: 3h45m
Elevation Ascended: 1757m
Total Distance on Current trip: 334km
Distance until I have cycled the circumference of Earth: 11,957km
Money spent: $20

image

I purposely camped beside the lake to wake up early morning to view the iconic Mount Fuji illuminated by the sunrise but to my disappointment it was shrouded in cloud... Oh, well. This meant I could go back to sleep and rest up for an epic day where I would climb to the summit of Mount Fuji.
I didn't have to cycle far to get to a hostel in Fujiyoshida and mostly it was a downhill run there, however after dropping off most of my belongings and preparing sustenance in the kitchen the road up the mountain was (obviously) the opposite. 
The Subaru line which is a tollway (at 200YEN for a bike) to the fifth and last station that is accessible by road was easy... Actually, I meant the other thing 'tedious and exhausting'; from 900 meters to 2400 meters I climbed over 24km.
Eventually I made it there before nightfall where everyone at this station was closing up shop.
I'll stop writing here as the next post will go into detail about my experience hiking up Mount Fuji.

IMG_8226IMG_8224

Beginning the hike up mount Fuji! and, I thought this was strange… the Japs have permanently gritted the surfaced the road to produce tones and tunes to make a song as your vehicle rolls across it…. it doesn’t work for bicycles though. Sad smile

 

IMG_8229IMG_8232IMG_8242IMG_8246IMG_8248IMG_8252

From the 1st step to the fifth, it was a good work out… and getting cold..

No comments:

Post a Comment