Photo Galleries

Sunday 23 November 2014

16/09/2014 - Cycle Touring Japan - Day 1 - A new country to cycle tour!


Distance cycled: 58km from Theo's place to Hwy 413, West of Tokyo.
Average speed: 17.4Km/h
Moving Time: 3h20m
Elevation Ascended: 937m
Total Distance on Current trip: 233km
Distance until I have cycled the circumference of Earth: 12,058km
Money spent: $27IMG_8086

Day 1!

image

With a fully loaded bike, prepared for another epic bicycle tour it was now time to leave Tokyo and head west into the mountains. However getting out of Tokyo was no easy feat. Although I was equipped with GPS navigation it took what felt like a lifetime to get away from the bustling capital of Japan; this was due to the ridiculous amounts of traffic lights having to start, stop, start stop. There were times, a lot of times where stop lights were completely unnecessary and what would have been a great downhill decent would be interrupted by a series of red lights. Inevitably I reached the point where stopping was not going to happen and I would coast through the junction.
The Japanese drivers were incredibly courteous with me on the road which is uncommon in Tokyo as the majority of people on bikes would cycle on the foot path - for me this is too slow and also hitting every curb would ruin my bike.
Although my bicycle has been all fixed up and many parts have been replaced I am hearing many more creaks making me believe that this bike may not last the last 12,000km of my goal.. I have faith in her, I'll just have to be gentle.
Finally as the sun was setting I managed to find the mountain road towards Lake Yamanaka which should present the beauty of Mount Fuji which in the coming days I will hike (hopefully) to the summit.
I've been told that free camping is not an issue here in Japan so as I began ascending the mountain road I found a path leading to some stairs where I pitched my tent on the concrete, it was an ideal place to camp for the night and I am hoping I rest well as I will need the extra energy tomorrow.

IMG_8091IMG_8096

Whatever seems to be every business (reputable or otherwise), shop, association, hotel, public announcement and gambling venue is associated with a generally gleaming animal mascot of any kind… for me and perhaps the rest of the world this would seem childish but here it is the norm.

IMG_8090

bicycle lanes are nice, at least for the times you are not bouncing on the curbs when crossing the roads

IMG_8088

Lots of rules to abide by. walking and smoking is prohibited? why?

IMG_8097

Tunnels! I hate tunnels.

No comments:

Post a Comment