Photo Galleries

Thursday 17 July 2014

05/07/2014 - Cycling the Rockies on a Cheap Bike. Day 5

Distance cycled: 72.7km from Tete Jaune Cache to Lucerne campground 35km from Jasper
Average speed: 17.9Km/h
Moving Time: 4h03m
Elevation Ascended: 758m
Burned Calories: 2680kcal
Burned Fat: 348g
Total Distance on Current trip: 447km
Distance until I have cycled the circumference of Earth: 12,532km
Money spent: $0

IMG_2426-2


View Rockies day 5 in a larger map

 

image

No other word can describe my day more appropriately than 'wicked', not only did I experience one of my best days cycling ever, I didn't spend a cent. On top of this I saw some pretty spectacular landscapes and wildlife; today included everything that a touring cyclist would enjoy.
Waking up to have a hummingbird fly an arms length in front of my face I knew that the day was going to be epic pushing myself on the ups and downs of the yellowhead highway that scythes it's way through the Rocky Mountains passing by Mount Robson, Canada's highest peak towards Jasper.
Along the way I met other touring cyclists who are always good fun to have a chat with, touching on topics we cyclists often converse about, generally weather, roads, bad truck drivers, head wind etc.
Certainly one of the highlights of the day was encountering a black bear just wandering behind some shrubs beside the highway, it was difficult to get a good shot (camera) until it was intimidated by my and got up on its hind legs; I had my bicycle directed down the hill in the opposite direction I was cycling just in case it decided to chase me with my hand firmly gripped to my bear spray I bought the other day. I managed to get within 15 feet of the beast before it ran off into the forest. It was an adrenaline pumping moment and certainly worth the risk for the snapshot.
Scenic photo galore as you can see below with all the shots the Rockies that surrounded and towered over me all day with many of the shots taken where I had to  set up my tripod and cycle away to frame me in the shot. Anyways, enjoy the phot's below.
Including the cyclists, I met some pretty awesome people today who helped me out not spending a single penny.  Free coffee and wifi in the morning from the guy who owned the camping ground and hotel across the river from where I "ninja"camped (the duo of cycling spaniards referred to free camping as this) and in the early afternoon I met some locals camping who I got chatting with who fed me beer, daiquiris and a BBQ meal with all the trimmings. I also managed to camp at the camping spot for free having spoken to the guy running the place.

All in all, a wicked day and undeniably a near perfect day to remember forever.

IMG_2412IMG_2430IMG_2431IMG_2449

Passing by the highest point in Canada, Mount Robson.

IMG_2461

Here I met some other cyclists on tour

IMG_2474

A black bear on the side of the road

IMG_2478IMG_2509

IMG_2489

Stunning Views

IMG_2523IMG_2524IMG_2525

 

IMG_2526

 

IMG_2533IMG_2403IMG_2459

Ahhh, Canada, no this and no that.

IMG_2562

Lucerne Camping where I managed to camp for free.

IMG_2549

The the people I met who fed me and had a great time with.

No comments:

Post a Comment