Photo Galleries

Friday 28 February 2014

12/02/2014 - Cycling SE Asia. Day 58 - Some people here are so stupid!

Distance cycled: 81km from Ruteng to beside Woko Munde mountain on the Trans-Flores Highway
Average speed: 19.3km/h
Moving Time: 4h11m
Elevation Ascended: 1183m
Burned Calories: 2444kcal
Burned Fat: 317g
Total Distance on Current trip: 5325km
Distance until I have cycled the circumference of Earth: 14,425km
Money spent: $6
IMG_5002

View 12FEB14 - 500 in a larger map
image

Last night I stayed at the Rima hotel in Ruteng, it wasn't cheap even for the economy room I selected and it was swarming with mosquitoes; predictably I did not sleep all that well. Even the breakfast was lousy being given a lukewarm coffee and two slices of toasted bread with nothing to spread on them, after a complaint to the manager I received an overcooked, deep fried, cold egg (yes, apparently this is possible); if the breakfast is going to be this terrible why bother advertising the room with the inclusion of it. The only good thing about this hotel was that the Internet was fast, fast enough for me to leave a single star review on tripadvisor.
Still hungry, exhausted and keen to leave I packed up my bike and continued east across Flores.
I have now found the best way to jolt my body awake from lack of sleep and that's simply with a shot of adrenaline; the 1300m downhill decent to the coast stretching 30km worked wonders. Just beautifully breathtaking views on either side of the ribbon of asphalt that threw me on a plethora of hairpin turns that considerably wore down my brake pads - what a rush!

I should be more cautious than I am riding my bike at the moment as my front wheel is ridiculously close to wearing through to the Kevlar and for whatever reason it cannot be pumped up to an adequate PSI level. I have perhaps, but no more than 500km left on it before it will be unusable.

So, about the title about stupid people; having this issue with my front tire I have now got an eye open for a new one at any bike shop, however the bike shops here don't have much, if any variety of quality parts and the bicycle mechanics you would think they would have a clue about the things they are assembling and "repairing" all day long really don't know what they are doing, for example; The shop owner said he had  28 inch tires which widened my eyes, I was surprised to the fact they had such an item, but he then suggested to somehow stretch out a 26 inch badly manufactured Chinese plastic tire to fit over my rim. Obviously I would not agree to this and even if my bicycle was unridable at the time I still would not even attempt to do this. What was going through his mind? Even if it did work I would have transformed my bicycle into a death trap with me later found dismembered on the valley floor below a mountain pass.

The afternoon climb to 500 meters was slow paced but pleasantly mild so I found a decent place to pitch my tent for the night and I do hope to rest well.. I really need this.

IMG_4976IMG_5003IMG_5011

IMG_4982IMG_4979IMG_4984IMG_4985

No comments:

Post a Comment