Photo Galleries

Friday 30 November 2012

25/11/2012 - Oslo to Israel. Day 65

Distance cycled: 93.7km from Florina to some farm 60km west of Thessaloniki.
Average speed: 19.9km/h
Moving time: 4h43m
Total distance: 5637km
Border X'ings: 21
Money spent: €3

View 25nov12 in a larger map

image


Cycling anywhere else in Europe I wouldn't have to cycle far to stop into a gas station, small supermarket or even someone's home to get water but Greece from where I cycled today was the far opposite. I had to cycle 60 odd kilometers before I even found a town where I could get a refill, and even that was difficult, it's Sunday and the Greeks somewhat copy their western european counterpart and close everything, not only on Sundays but also weekday afternoons, and Saturdays and any other time you would really need something to purchase. It's damn annoying.
However after an extensive search I did manage to find two shops that offered the things I needed for the day and the shop owners delighted me with gifts. One was an old woman at the fruit and veg stall who gave me a bunch of fruit after I purchased some vegetables, the other was a family run coffee shop / bakery where I essentially met the whole family, three generations in total where I rested my legs and enjoyed their company despite having to communicate through Google Translate. When I left I was given some cookies - how lovely.
This is my third time in Greece and I have always loved it here, although this is my first time in the north and I'm liking it so far.
As I am still not feeling too flash at the moment, at the end of the day my stomach churned in a bad way so I pulled off the road and camped in a apple orchard. I do have a bad feeling that some dogs are going to find me and wake me either tonight or tomorrow morning...

IMG_2788IMG_2789IMG_2791

This part of Greece wasnt very pretty so i have no photos to show off here, the 3rd pic you can see that the Autumn is coming in… that is all.

IMG_2795

Left to right, Mother, Daughter and Grandmother…

No comments:

Post a Comment