Photo Galleries

Tuesday 27 November 2012

22/11/2012 – Oslo to Israel. Day 63

Distance cycled: 57km from Ohrid to Galicica National Park
Average speed: 16.1km/h
Moving time: 3h32m
Total distance: 5463km
Border X'ings: 20
Money spent: €0.75


View 22nov12 in a larger map

image
I had some company today, Aaron, one of the Aussie guys who I've been hanging out with for the past few days at the hostel in Ohrid decided to join me with a hired mountain bike into the national park to see the view of Ohrid Lake from 1600 meters. It's a 900 meter climb which we accomplished albeit rather slowly; Aaron had never attempted cycling to such altitude and kudos to him for making it up there; there were times where I thought he would give up but he persisted.
It's interesting to see the differences between the two of us in terms of fitness, he had only a backpack meanwhile my bicycle being fully loaded I was still able to gun it up the mountain taking regular stop breaks where I would have to wait for him to catch up. He had issues of cramps and sore legs but it will do him good, I just wouldn't want the aches and pains that he will inevitably nurse tomorrow.
We were lucky to have such beautiful weather and no wind, making our accent to the top well worthwhile - as you can see with the pictures and panoramically below.
At the top we parted ways and I continued heading east down the dark and cold side of the mountain to another lake where I pitched up beside it.

IMG_2650IMG_2652IMG_2654IMG_2655

On the way out of Ohrid

IMG_2658IMG_2661IMG_2662

Road getting a bit steeper as we entered Galicica National Park

IMG_2664IMG_2667

Beautiful views

IMG_2670IMG_2674IMG_2677

The were quite a few waiting periods whilst Aaron caught up with me

IMG_2747IMG_2750

Boing Boing enjoying the view

IMG_2752IMG_2756

Getting close to the top of the pass

IMG_2763

At the top, this is where we parted ways, i continued down the other side of the mountain and Aaron went back to Ohrid

IMG_2765

Lake Prespa

IMG_2767

IMG_2768

These puppies i found on the side of the road, it would have been great to take one or both with me.

IMG_2779

Where i camped, beside Lake Prespa, Macedonia

No comments:

Post a Comment