Photo Galleries

Monday 26 November 2012

19/11/2012 – Oslo to Israel. Day 62


Distance cycled: 75.7km from tunnel, Albania to Ohrid, Macedonia.
Average speed: 17.1km/h
Moving time: 4h26m
Total distance: 5405km
Border X'ings: 20
Money spent: €4


View 19nov12 in a larger map

image
It took only 2km of cycling with strong headwind and slight rain to pull over to the side of the road and into a cafe that provided me with shelter, coffee and raki (a strong alcoholic spirit). I waited for the rain to pass whist groups of locals sat and stared; I figured something out here, many people in Albania gestured or asked me if I were cold as I often only wear shorts and a sleeveless shirt, I always tell them I'm fine because I'm on my bike moving. Albanians on the other hand are incredibly lazy, cold blooded people lacking the motivation to move, and seem to spend their days standing around on the sides of the road waiting for something of interest to happen ie a crazy haired individual on a packed bicycle lacking clothing, who is probably cold (but absolutely fine) passing by.
Like many border crossings in this part of the world the crossing into Macedonia involved a climb up a mountain, this mountain from a distance seemed especially daunting as it rose from the earth from the plains of farmers fields with many switchbacks to reach the top. To be honest it wasn't all that difficult to climb keeping a steady pace and not going too hard, however this sense of logic was interrupted when two aggressively barking dogs came running down a hill jumped down onto the road a chased me for a few hundred meters snapping their jaws at my ankles, legs and rear tire; slow and steady were obviously not words that were running through my head - but think the main, perhaps only benefit in this situation, I got up the mountain faster... One was awfully close to taking a chunk off my calf.
Entering Macedonia everything became better, the road, the people I encountered, buildings,scenery, less garbage even the weather warmed up. I'm happy to be here so I headed to Ohrid which was recommended by many to visit and it did not disappoint, the hostel was fantastic too with an enthusiastic owner named Geoko.
It didn't take long before in met the few people staying there and not long after that I had downed many, much needed beers. I cooked up supper for a bunch of us and later headed out to a bar that was just good conversation.

 IMG_2502

Where i camped last night.

IMG_2503IMG_2504IMG_2506IMG_2509

You can see the Autumn is settling in.

IMG_2510IMG_2515IMG_2520

Coming close to the border of Macedonia… having this daunting mountain to climb

IMG_2521IMG_2524

Mountain goats wouldnt be called mountain goats if not on a mountain!?

IMG_2529IMG_2532

View from the top of the pass looking over Albanian farmers fields

IMG_2534IMG_2537

Crossing over the border to Macedonia after a meal for 1 Euro – Spaghetti with cheese, nothing more

IMG_2542IMG_2544IMG_2546

2 comments:

  1. sounds a bit as if you did not like Albania very much ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i suppoose from what your read here its true... still i had a fun time with you and your family in Durres.
      Comparing it to macedonia, Albania wasnt my cup of tea, although speaking of tea, that tea you gave me is increadible, it fixed me right up when i was ill the other day.
      Hope your doing well alexander

      Delete