Photo Galleries

Sunday 30 September 2012

26/09/2012 - Oslo to Israel. Day 19

Distance cycled: 103km from Leeuwarden to some park near a town some 40km from amsterdam.
Average speed: 17.7 km/h
Moving time: 5h50m
Total distance: 1879km
Border X'ings: 4
Money spent: €10 for breakfast


View 26sept12 in a larger map

 

image
The headwind today was just atrocious and it persisted all day.
Leaving Sannes and Hinkes place after making breakfast at 11 i took the google map route that snaked southwest around farmers fields, canals, over bridges and finally hitting a main road. I made the choice yesterday evening to cycle the 30km dike, the alternative was take a ferry that would have set me back €16. Because I am a tight ass I took the dike route, thinking of it now it would have been better to have taken the ferry, the 30km was boring as fuck, and along with the headwind only averaging 15km/h it sucked balls! You can do the math - 2 hours of sheer bordom.
Filling up on water in a farm loaded with volunteers for the disabled I got caught up in a conversation about my travels and was offered tea and nibbles, they described my adventures as "inspiring".
Finding a place to camp shortly later was far more difficult here in holland than anywhere else I have cycled, there were no forests and even when I found a patch of trees they were surrounded by a fence. I cycled further than I wanted to but finally found a park to pitch my tent in.
I'm looking forward to sleeping tonight! I'm going to be out for at least 12 hours.

IMG_0223IMG_0228IMG_0230IMG_0234IMG_0248IMG_0255

the complete and utter boringness of cycling the 35km Ayslidijk (i know i spelt that wrong)

No comments:

Post a Comment