Photo Galleries

Sunday 30 September 2012

23/09/2012 – Oslo to Israel. Day 17


Distance cycled: 186km from Bremen, Germany to Groningen, Netherlands.
Average speed: 22.5km/h
Moving time: 8h15m
Total distance: 1705km
Border X'ing: 4
Money spent: €1 for a coffee


View 23sept12 in a larger map

image


Today really was a great day for cycling weather wise, I needed it too as I had and wanted to cycle 170km from Bremen to Groningen in the Netherlands, actually it turned out to be 186km because the route I uploaded to my GPS was good and all but it doesn't have turn-by-turn directions so accidentally at one point after a break overshot a turn by 7km.
I only took a couple of breaks today because I didn't want to get caught in the dark somewhere in the north of holland so I pushed on hard.
Entering holland the scenery and buildings changed from that of Germany, small quaint houses and many bridges and crossings over canals and rivers - this is where my gps came in handy because if I didnt have the route plotted I would have been completely lost, piling up unnecessary kilometers.
At a service station Where I had a coffee I met a very pretty girl interested in my travels, it was a good conversation but short because I had to continue.
I cycled through two village fates that I would have liked to stop and check out -taking photos, but like everything today I had to rush.
The weather tomorrow was going to turn for the worst so covering this distance was better for me.
Arriving in Groningen at night I wanted to stay with Floor who I met in taganga, Columbia but she was looking after her sick mother so I couldn't. Instead I stayed with guy on the warm-showers list. This is the first time I used this website on this trip so when arriving in the city, I Went to the mcdonalds and hopped on the Internet, found someone in the area who had contact information and called them.
Eelke and his girlfriend were kind enough to let a complete stranger into their home but this is the great thing about warm-showers.org and why I would always use this over couch-surfing. Not only does warm-showers list the phone number to be able to contact someone directly but automatically you have something in common with your hosts; as they have been on bicycle tour before.
Eelke and his girlfriend fed me food and beer and we watched mission impossible - the new one and after some small talk I needed to sleep after straining my muscles throughout the day.

IMG_0182

Leaving Stephanie and Kai’s place

IMG_0190IMG_0192

Making my way into Holland..

IMG_0194

Enter Holland – well this was the only indication that i was entering another country.

IMG_0197

Afternoon snack on a bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment