Photo Galleries

Sunday 30 September 2012

21/09/2012 - Oslo to Israel. Day 16


Distance cycled: 66.2km from 15km north east of Zeven N53 24.546 E009 31.350to Bremen
Average speed: 20.1km/h
Moving time: 3h17m
Total distance: 1519km
Border X'ings: 4

Money spent: 31€ for repairing my bicycle at a bike shop.


View 21sept in a larger map

image



Getting up this morning hoping the temporary fix on my rear inner tube would hold was under a lot of personal doubt, I surprised myself having this fix hold together for 10km Until I got another flat where it was at a different place on the inner tube.
When repairing my bike in a small town a woman from across the street asked if I needed any help. Monica who i later met was the kindest woman who invited me into her home to wash the grease off my hands, this progressed to a cup of coffee, then relaxing my injured knee, used her computer to get in contact with Stephanie and Kai (in Bremen), and later invitation to a roasted duck lunch with her husband and father. All three of them were lovely people and for them to let me into their home off the road and not even asking for help really puts a smile on my face. Monica if you read this Thankyou ever so much.
Where I got the flat in front of Monica's place I had only cycled 10km from where I camped the previous night, having this late lunch and not leaving Monica's place till 4 wasn't ideal but I knew I could make it to Bremen before it got too dark, especially with the miracle muscle ache cream Monica gave me that worked wonders on my bung knee.
Before getting into Bremen I had to sort out my bicycle, thankfully there was one down the road about 6km, I wasn't sure if the repair job on my wheel would hold up so I took it easy and managed to get there without any issues. Here I got my bike wheel properly fixed but paid quite a lot for it, oh well it needed to be done, the woman in the store who incidentally was friends with Monica was happy to help me out and I like dealing with people who smile.
Making it to Bremen as it was getting dark was fine albeit a little cold, there was a bicycle path, a converted railroad track that took me right into the center of the city where Stephanie and Kai lived. I arrived at theirs at 8 where I cooked up a delicious pasta meal and where we chatted for the evening about my bike trip and their van. Stephanie and Kai I met in Sweden when cycling the west coast, they invited me for pasta in their van that they were travelling in and we stayed in touch.
It was great to see them again too we had a few beers and went for a quick drink in a small bar before walking around the area.

IMG_0061

repairing my bike again….

IMG_0073IMG_0096

Monica and family with an incredible roast duck lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment