Photo Galleries

Thursday 27 September 2012

17/09/2012 - 19/09/2012 Berlin!

As my left knee was playing up I thought having some time off from cycling would be a good thing, and what better place to go than Berlin. On this cycle trip hamburg was the closest point I would be to Berlin so this and also wanting to see some friends there this would be the perfect opportunity to go.
I took a last minute train ticket booked online to get to Berlin, €25 for an hour and three quarters of travel time to get there, it would have cost me the same amount to cycle but taking 3 days.
It was a last minute decision to go to Berlin and as such the people I wanted to see we're busy with their studies and/or work. Regardless there was one person I wanted to see inparticular and that was Kathrin who I met in Laos after I injured myself by attempting a double backflip from a roap swing. We had some fun together and so seeing her again was great.
Despite that she had to work and study she still found the time to pick me up from the train station and spend the two evenings I had in Berlin with me.
Unfortunately Kathrin couldn't host me at her place so I had to check into a hostel, the last time I had to pay for accommodation since I was in munich over a month ago, it was all good though being able to meet other backpackers and share advice and stories.
Kathrin and I spent both evenings we were together on rooftops of buildings, two of which were ontop of abandoned buildings where we had a great view of the city and the third was ontop of the hostel she worked at in the downtown area where she promptly kicked some backpackers downstairs because there was a curfew at 10 and so we had the beanbags and area to ourselves.
It would have been nice to go out about the town and party but honestly loud dance music and dancing compared to climbing around abandoned buildings, walking about the city during sunset and chilling in hostels with such an affectionate and cool chick, this is and was an easy choice for me. I hope we meet again soon Kathrin.
I also got to briefly see Hany, an isrealie girl who I met in south America, it was only for a drink beside a fountain surrounded by bums but nonetheless still good to see her.
I got a history lesson too with a guided walking tour around the city I joined in on organized from the hostel, not nearly indepth as the one in Munich but still very interesting; getting to see the remains of the Berlin wall, the death place of hitler (actually a bunker beneath a car park), along with many other historical buildings.
It would have been heaps better if I stayed for longer but I can't let the cold weather catch up to me while is cycle.
IMG_9835IMG_9849IMG_9860IMG_9999IMG_9881
Hamburg, Just some pics around the city
IMG_9893IMG_9911
Walking about the streets of Berlin
IMG_9924IMG_9928IMG_9936
Some shots of the abandoned buildings Kathrin and I went to
IMG_9964IMG_9965IMG_9972IMG_9975IMG_9981
Berlin Pano 1, 2012

IMG_0036IMG_0028IMG_0025
Walking tour around Berlin

No comments:

Post a Comment