Photo Galleries

Monday 3 October 2011

30/09/2011 Day 37 Cycling Across Canada

Distance Traveled: Norwood to Sharbot Lake Provincial park 116km
Money Spent: $0
Time cycling: 5 hours 10 minutes
Moving Average: 22.4km/h
Total Distance Traveled: 2557 km


View Larger Map

terrain profile

I woke at midnight having had the sickness pass, I honest have no idea what caused it but im so glad that it only lasted as long as it did. Because I already had somewhat of a lengthy sleep I organised some of this shit (blogging, journal) and grouped all the pictures I have taken over the past few days. I was on the road around 9am after packing my things, something im constantly getting faster at doing.
The morning I was making very good pace along the relatively flat roads despite not much of a shoulder and having avoided running over the remains of frogs and tortoises – there was honestly dead frogs or what looked like dead frogs every few meters on the shoulder of the road, some disembowelled, decapitated and others rotting away – seeing this would put you off frogs legs for sure.... maybe this is a sign that im getting closer to Quebec.
Anyway, as I was saying I was making good pace and one stop off at a rest stop – that you dont get to see much of in Ontario – I sat myself down and made myself an excellent lunch (Potato Mash, Poached Veggies and chili tuna).
At another stop off I met a pair of cyclists, Cole and Mark who started their trip in Toronto, I briefly chatted them before they set off back on the trans-Canadian trail which I want to avoid because this section is not well maintained.
Mid-afternoon the weather certainly took a turn for the worse and it started pissing it down. When the weather is relatively warmish, like today I dont mind the rain but as soon as it gets too cold, touring cycling is not enjoyable.
Still, I got fed up with the rain today and found a provincial park to set my tent up in and as no one was there I wasnt going to pay for it :)
I camped right by a lake so I thought it was about time to use the fishing rod that was giving to me a few weeks ago. Things didnt go too well as the first line in snagged on someone else's broken line, other attempts got stuck on to the logs under the water and I gave up when part of the reel broke off... I will however get this replaced and will attempt another time in the future.

IMG_0291-1024 IMG_0292-1024 IMG_0296-1024

Morning… Midday… Fishing at night

No comments:

Post a Comment