Photo Galleries

Monday 3 October 2011

29/09/2011 Day 36 Cycling Across Canada

Distance Traveled: Reaboro to Norwood 84km
Money Spent: $30 for bike stuff $10 for some cigarettes and a few dollars for coffee.
Time cycling: 4 hours 04 minutes
Moving Average: 20.5km/h
Total Distance Traveled: 2441 km


View Larger Map

terrain profile

I woke to the smell of cooking bacon in the morning... yum yum!
I without hesitation ran downstairs at Marnie and Steve's place and sat down for a hearty breakfast, I tried to help but they had everything prepared.
They havent had many people look them up on the warm-showers list and I think I was their 5 visitor over some time, but this couple are a prime example on how friendly Canadians are, their hospitality was like no other and I cant thank them enough. Marnie, by the way, those freshly baked Muffins you made this morning were incredible! I will be asking you for the recipe as a favor for teaching you that magic card trick ;).
Marnie, showed me some of their farm and took me to the Trans- Canadian trail that ran alongside their farm that had been maintained much better than what I cycled on yesterday morning.
Im hesitant to cycle on it because I dont want to risk another flat tire and although the terrain was much better I took the risk and used the trail to get to Peterborough.
In Peterborough I went to a bike shop to pick up a new pump and despite the forecast prediction mostly sunny periods for the day it it started pissing it down. I browsed the store chatting with the staff there and thought it was about time to fix some fenders onto my bike, just to kill some time waiting for the rain to pass.
Ben and Terry, the two guys I dealt with at the store were even kind enough to give the fenders to me at a great discount... im going to call this discount “The Cycling Across Canada Discount”. They even gave me some good advice on what route I should take to get further east. Thanks fellas!
On route I was passed (on two occasions) by a Google maps car, the second time I took note of the coordinates of the location so hopefully ill be seen on Google maps street view at: N 44 15.134 W078 08.588
As suggested by the bike shop guys I took highway 2 as the main highway (HWY 7) is busy with absolutely no shoulder to Hastings. I munched down some of my food at a park and set off again... this is where things got a little weird... whether it was something I ate or drank, I all of a sudden became exhausted and dizzy... Several times I even almost vomited. Whatever it was it didnt feel good at all, I only made it 10 km down the road where I had to pull in behind what I think is the fire station of the town of Norwood and pitched my tent. I got as far as putting my mat on my un-erected tent and crashed holding my stomach trying not to throw up.
Later I managed to pitch my tent and set it up for a rainy night but fuck, I didnt even eat dinner my stomach hurt that much. Not good.

IMG_0277-1024 IMG_0278-1024

Marnie and some mushrooms…

IMG_0283-1024 IMG_0284-1024 IMG_0281-1024

Cycling the Trans-Canadian Trail

IMG_0285-1024 IMG_0286-1024

At the Bike shop where it pissed it down and me attaching the fenders onto my bike.

IMG_0288-1024

More Locks… apparantly the oldest one remaining in Canada… one of the sights of Peterborough

IMG_0290-1024

Where i started feeling sick in Hastings.

No comments:

Post a Comment