Photo Galleries

Thursday 13 October 2011

06/10/2011 Day 43 Cycling Across Canada

Distance Traveled:Over the bridge from Hawksbury to Montreal 108km
Money Spent: $5 for food $10 for smokes and $12 for celebratory beers
Time cycling: 5 hours 01 minutes
Moving Average: 21.4 km/h
Total Distance Traveled: 2921 km


View Larger Map

terrain Profile

It was cold last night but I had picked a great place to camp in between trees to get away from the wind so I slept quite well.
I set off by 11 after messing with my camera figuring out some new features and settings. Like yesterday I cruised and enjoyed the lovely weather and having a tail wind all the way into Montreal was a bonus.
A lot of the people I met today suggested I should cross back over to the Ontario side to cycle into Montreal but I didnt take their advice and continued on the north side of the river – this turned out to be a better option as there was very little traffic and on occasions I found paved dedicated cycle paths into the city.
I could certainly tell when I got closer to my final destination because the girls got progressively more beautiful... Montreal is known for the stunning woman and as I have been here before I know its true.
It took me longer than I thought it was going to get into the city but the amount of traffic lights to get into downtown really annoyed me, also those absolutely stupid 4 way stop signs – why not have the greater flow of traffic uninterrupted then yield signs for traffic on the adjacent roads... it just makes more sense – fuck them, I really hate them.
Anyways I made it to Alex's place just before dark; Alex is a very good friend of mine who I worked tree planting with for 2 years, he has invited me to stay at his while im sticking around MTL.
He lived with 3 guys – Jo, Simon and Phil ( the latter I planted with on my first season), and started the evening off with some home brewed beer.
It was get catching up with Alex and we later headed out to some of his friends places around the city to drink more and have a good time... it was a fantastic night that led to us hiking up Mont Royal (the big hill in the city) to see the view and mess about with sculptures along the way.
There was a suggestion to make some food at two of the girls place who we were partying with where I volenteered to cook up a feast... ahhh, my speciallity, cooking whilst drunk in an unfamiliar kitchen catering for drunk people... I honestly love it! Meanwhile Alex headed home because of school the next day but I stuck around with Sarah, Danielle and Matt after cooking up a cream/bacon pasta dish.
As easy as it was to impress the girls one of the girls (Sarah) invited me to stay in her bed as I certainly wasnt in the state to cycle the 6km back to Alex's at 5.30 am.
One thing led to another and I had a fantastic evening... im hoping Montreal while im here is going to be much like I experienced tonight – good state of mind, great weather, fun people and exciting experiences.
Thats it, almost 3000km from Kamloops to Montreal on a bicycle across the country in 42 days (although skipping the prairies and part of Ontario).
Thankyou to those who helped me out along the way, I wouldnt have enjoyed this trip nearly as much as I did if it wasnt for you all!
I will be continuing this blog but for the time I spend in Montreal ill be summarizing the events and shenanigans that occur. Thanks for reading.
Jono out

IMG_6389-1024

Where I camped last night

IMG_6372-1024 IMG_6407-1024

Messing with my Camera

IMG_6423-1024 IMG_6424-1024 IMG_6426-1024

Shots of Landscapes in Quebec

IMG_6429-1024

I thought this was funny because normally old people look for the viewfinder on all point and shoot cameras (the old style way), this time when i asked an old person to take a picture of me he was looking for the screen, yes, my camera has live view but i don’t like to use it. Times have again changed.

IMG_6434-1024 IMG_6438-1024

PUMPKINS!

IMG_6441-1024 IMG_6443-1024

Shoes on powerline’s mean there is a drug dealer nearby – this was a native reserve so its probably true. Pic on right – some people i met possibly drug dealers

IMG_6449-1024 IMG_6452-1024 IMG_6457-1024 IMG_6465-1024

Getting into Montreal on a bike path.

No comments:

Post a Comment