Photo Galleries

Wednesday 28 September 2011

19/09/2011 Day 26 Cycling Across Canada

Distance Traveled: Football field to the outskirts of Barrie - 40km cycling and 40km in a Van.

Money Spent: $13 for food and coffee's
Time cycling: 2 hours 20 minutes
Moving Average: ???
Total Distance Traveled: 2108 km


View Larger Map


Terrain Profile


Today was an interesting day where I could no longer cycle on the highway because it had changed to a multi lane freeway so I had to take the back roads towards Toronto.
Cycling into the afternoon the cloud layer above became progressively more dense making it darker and darker until not surprisingly started raining and it would not let up. The winds were not on my side either where they were directly from the South.
For the second time this trip someone offered me a ride, Cathy a very lovely , talkative woman wanting to introduce me to her daughter, insisted to throw my bike into the back of her van and take me further down the road into Barrie where I headed straight to the library to use the internet and try and get in contact with anyone on the warm-showers list or people listed on couch-surfing website; I had left it at the last moment and sadly I did not get a reply.
Asking for directions to the Library a woman invited me into her house and fed me some soup and sandwiches, do I really give off the vibe that I am in dire need of food? I am skinny and often tired from cycling all day – maybe this is how people perceive me or it could be you kind hearted Canadians just happy to help either way, a decent eat for me.
So, it was getting close to dark and I had no where to stay, I had the option to stay in a shelter as recommended by a woman at the Library but I passed on the offer and pushed my pedals down the road to the edge of town where I found a convenient spot where I could hang my tarp up in some trees to get out of the rain – hopefully it stays up for the night and I dont wake up soaking wet.
Oh, tomorrow I get to see my folks for the first time in 5 years, I would surprise them at the airport but it seems easier to meet them at where they are staying tomorrow evening. I was suppose to show up a day after but this way it is more fun. Obviously ill post this after I surprise them.

No comments:

Post a Comment