Photo Galleries

Tuesday 30 August 2011

29/08/2011 Day 5 Cycling Across Canada

Distance Traveled: Rest stop on HWY 33 south to 10km outside of Greenwood 106km
Money Spent: $1.20 for chocolate bar and 50 cents for a peach, got 3 apples for free.
Time cycling: 5 hours 29 minutes
Moving Average: 19.2 km/h
Total Distance Traveled: 361km


View Larger Map

Elevation Profile

The morning was cold, really cold, but the weather for the day again looked sunny.
I found it really difficult to get packed and ready to leave and I didnt get cycling till 11am, I cant be doing this every morning as I need to hit upwards of 100km a day; I suppose it doesnt really matter, but I do have to be in Toronto by the 22nd of September, at this rate it is impossible but I will be getting a bus over the Prairies where its dead flat and nothing to see.
Whilst making breakfast a couple approached me telling me there was a parallel route to Hwy 33 that was a gravel road that used to be railroad tracks, it would have been nice to get off the hwy but apparently the scenic views were up north that I had already passed, shame.
For the last couple of days I found some parts on the side of the road to make a stand for my bicycle, what I made was quite impressive and worked quite well but somehow today it must have fallen off my bike, I would have heard it fall but I was listening to my music.
There was a crazy headwind today, all the way to the junction at Rock Creek where I started heading east towards the Kootenays and also the foothills of the Rocky mountains.
At Rock Creek I pulled over to a mechanic shop looking for a steel rod to prevent my front pannier racks from breaking under the weight of my bags; all I had to do was bend it correctly and it would keep the racks straight and stable, my idea worked flawlessly.
I continued down highway 3 where the view was spectacular and the road wasnt all that difficult and as I passed a lovely old fashioned town of Greenwood, I was getting tired at this point as the sun was going down, I wasnt going to pay $16 for a camp ground with no showers so I again I renegade camped down beside the highway on a gravel service road.
I made a delicious dinner that Jeff taught me in the US, he was an Aussie guy that I cycled with for part of the way in the states; he called it Bush Laksa, mixing veg with canned fish, noodles, coconut milk and chili powder.
I'm thinking im going to write down these recipes (the good ones) that I make on this trip and perhaps one day put a cookbook together on these one pot wonder dishes.
My left hand over the past couple of days has really been irritating me, after gripping the handlebars all day I can barely grasp things making it very inconvenient to open packages, tightening straps, pushing buttons on my gps etc. I know its the new type of handlebars that I'm getting used to on this bike and I do hope this heals up soon.

P1150346-1024P1150351-1024 P1150349-1024

Breakfast, On the road again and an old barn that caught my eye

P1150353-1024 P1150348-1024 P1150347-1024

Something…. i dunno what with a bunch of flags on it, And some views around the area.

P1150356-1024 P1150354-1024

The steel metal bar that i bent over the wheel to prevent my pannier rack from breaking, and my delicious dinner – Bush Laksa

No comments:

Post a Comment