Photo Galleries

Monday 23 February 2015

09/01/2015 - Cycle Touring New Zealand - Day 7 - How not to kill a bird

 

IMG_7385
Distance cycled: 43.3km from Whangarei to Helena Bay, North island, New Zealand.
Average speed: 13.5km/h
Moving Time: 3h11m
Elevation Ascended: 484m
Total Distance on Current trip: 305km
Distance until I have cycled the circumference of Earth: 8,102km
Money spent: $22

image

On our detour from the main highway towards the town of Russell I saw a native red beaked bird on the side of the road struggling to walk, my assumption was that it was clipped by a car, it couldn't flee from me and so the right thing to do was to put the thing down.
Marlieke had done such a thing to a chicken once before and she gestured the process as simple as breaking a paddle pop stick in half.
I grabbed my gloves (for times when it is cold) picked up the poor creature and attempted to twist the neck until it snapped. I'll tell you know, it wasn't as easy as breaking a paddle pop stick and even after contorting the birds neck in all kinds of positions it released a squark letting me know me that 1. That hurt and 2. What the f$ck are you doing? Panicked, I pushed my fingers into its throat and held tight as the long orange legs flailed about. gripping this birds neck for more than 5 minutes I could feel a pulse at my fingertips but was unsure if it was mine or the poor creature I put through sever pain for what I thought (and probably the bird too) would be a simple death.
Even after this time it's thin legs were still moving about, Ive heard about chickens still running even after having those heads cut off, but was unsure and so I attempted breaking its neck again, this time trying to rip the head away from the body... but failed.
I stood over the black and blue feathery animal that I had thrown into the shrubs in the ditch on the side of the road with what seemed its legs still trying grasping for life yet gradually slowed and then stopped, a sure sign that it wouldn't be getting up again... I hope.
Not a dignified death whatsoever, a pathetic attempt by someone without the slightest idea of how to kill something. I'm sorry little one, I hope I didn't put you through too much suffering and misery.

IMG_7432

Helena Bay, North island, New Zealand

IMG_7372

Marlieke reaching the top of another hill climb

No comments:

Post a Comment