Photo Galleries

Sunday 25 January 2015

09/11/2014 - Cycle Touring Bonus Trip, Broome to Sandfire, WA Australia - Day 1 of 2

IMG_3054
Distance cycled: 210km from Broome hostel to rest stop on highway.
Average speed: 22.4Km/h
Moving Time: 9h22m
Elevation Ascended: 343m
Total Distance on Current trip: 210km
Distance until I have cycled the circumference of Earth: 8,520km
Money spent: Shopping yesterday and a night at the hostel $55

 

 

Here I am now in Western Australia having taken three flights and 30 odd hours of traveling time from Japan to visit my girlfriend in a roadhouse in the middle of nowhere where she works.
I flew into Broome where I assembled my Bicycle and although delirious from the shear amount of traveling I kicked it about town looking for a thrift shop to purchase a few things I needed to endure the heat and the 321km to Sandfire roadhouse. Also because I had to dispose of much of my belongings when boarding my first flight in Osaka because I was over weight by 4kg I needed to pick up some important things like a bike pump and water bottles which I bought at the local bike shop where Andrew, the owner of the place, was happy to give me a considerable discount on these items.
Having been almost a decade since I was last in Australia it was great to see all the products i remembered from when I was last here like Shapes (flavored chips), Solo (lemonade), Maxibon (ice-cream sandwich), the variety of Cordial (flavored syrup you add to water) and a bunch of other things. I would have bought them all but unlike these items that have not changed the prices have, and considerably too. The aforementioned Maxibon I remember was $2.50 max
But was $5.00 at the service station.
Honestly the prices for anything and everything were ridiculously extortionate; perhaps this has something to do with Broome being more of a tourist destination  but still fuel (not that I need it for my bike) was listed at $1.75, 50c more than when I was last in the country.

The beach in Broome is a major highlight of the town and i saw nothing of it as when I eventually made it to the hostel I crashed out hard in the dorm room.
It was a 4am start to cover as much distance as I possibly could before the heat was unbearable but getting up at this time was ideal because there was no traffic on the road and the sunrise was beautiful even offering a rainbow in the storm clouds that passed over the town only a few hours before hand.
So, it was hot, straight and boring but I was able to cover a considerable distance, I wanted to hit the 300km mark today but the wind and the time it took to repair a puncture made it not so conducive. Still, 210km is an admirable effort in these conditions and exactly the maximum distance I have covered in one day, on two occasions, once in Vietnam from the coast of Vietnam to Saigon and from Thunder Bay, Canada heading east.
I encounter lots of happy helpful people, I was offered a short ride to a farm when some South Africans saw me on the side of the road fixing my tire which I accepted and filled up on water and some Yorkshire puddings they offered me.
Also a trucker driving a road train which by the way are very frightening because they are three trailers long and the rear trailer sways 6 feet either side. When you see one coming the best thing to do is to get off the road. Anyway this trucker, Nathan gave me a bunch of good and some cold drinks which were -needless to say- heavenly.
My tent at the moment is like a sauna, the heat of the red dirt is cooking my back but without doubt I'll be able to sleep because I am undeniably exhausted.
The night sky is so bright here, in the space of a couple of minutes I saw two satellites and a bright orange shooting star.
I can barely think right now and so I am going to sleep.
Only 120km to Sandfire! Can't wait to see Marlieke.

IMG_3014IMG_3020IMG_3028IMG_3034

Sunrise views in the morning

IMG_3042IMG_3043IMG_3045IMG_3047IMG_3057

Trying to make the most of such a boring straight road

IMG_3079IMG_3090

 

IMG_3061IMG_3069

The very frightening road trains where the last trailer can sway 6 feet either side

IMG_3100

No comments:

Post a Comment