Photo Galleries

Thursday 14 August 2014

10/07/2014 - Cycling the Rockies on a Cheap Bike. Day 8 - Rockies X2, done deal!

Distance cycled: 98.7km
Average speed: 22.3Km/h
Moving Time: 4h25m
Elevation Ascended: 626m
Burned Calories: 2945kcal
Burned Fat: 382g
Total Distance on Current trip: 688km
Distance until I have cycled the circumference of Earth: 12,291km
Money spent: $8

IMG_3027
View Day 8 in a larger map

image

It took a long time to gather myself this morning to get back on my bike, I was tired and worn out. However this was the last day I had to cycle on this trip so instead of cooking breakfast I treated myself to the magnificence of mcdonalds for not only breakfast but also lunch.
I knew that such fast food would not sustain me for long but the crap is delicious. It was silly of me to set off on the road from Hinton to Edson without proper sustenance but I did it anyway.
The road being roughly 90km was long, tedious, bumpy, straight and boring as all hell. However I was treated to 45km/h (mostly) tailwind, but there were times where the wind gusts were so brutal I would almost be swept off my bike and crashing in the ditch.
For the times I was getting blown in the correct direction I gunned it, pushing my speed to the max.
Back in Hinton I bumped into a few people with whom I work and who offered to take some of my belongings, I graciously declined because I started with all the things and I must finish with all that I brought. In hindsight it would have been a good idea to give at least some of my belongings to these guys because I managed to loose my sleeping bag that fell from my rack somewhere along the highway. Damn the bumpy Albertan roads!
It wasn't just the roads being bad here in this province but also the truck drivers, many of them would not give me a wide birth and with the slipstream and the strong winds I was blown around all over the place.
Eventually and exhaustedly I made it to Edson where I would be working for the next 2 and a half weeks so I met up with the crew, unloaded my bicycle, did my shopping for the next week and as much as I would like to have said slept, I and the rest of the crew had to help unload the semi filled with trees. It was a couple of hours of free labour but it was great to see everyone again.

So, there we have it, yet again I have cycled over the Rocky Mountains but this time on a crappy bicycle that I have in fact grown quite fond of.
The bicycle held up better that just ok, it did the job without a single problem. Proof that you don't need a good bicycle to go on tour.

 

IMG_3017

 

IMG_3033

Starting work tomorrow as the last day of this holiday period is now over.

No comments:

Post a Comment