Photo Galleries

Sunday 4 May 2014

05/03/2014 to 07/03/2014 - Rantepao, do you eat baby? What?!

 

IMG_6216


View 07MAR14 in a larger map

Finding a fantastic place to relax after cycling 500 odd kilometers from Bira over the last few days, I was content with simply chilling and doing really not much else. The hotel is named Poppies and I certainly would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Rantepao or Sulawesi for that matter.

I would often eat at the same place around the corner at a simple and cheap 'warung', the first time I ate at this place the woman owner asked me "you eat baby in Australia?", unsurprisingly I was shocked by this question but I knew the Toraja people have very unique customs but in no way did I think it was this extreme. I repeated over and over "no, no, don't eat baby, it's very bad" but with a confused look on her face she said "you're eating baby now!". Completely shocked, but only for a split second I then realized what was happening, something lost in translation. She was saying 'Babi' not 'baby', Babi means 'pig' in Indonesian! When I explained we both laughed.  

I spent these days with a Russian girl who was also traveling on her lonesome and we had some laughs together. Katya who incidentally is a model spoke English much better than all other Russians I have met in the past and so it was great to have some company whist we laid back and visited a few of the surrounding sites.

I also cycled 40 odd kilometers north of Rantepao viewing the beautiful countryside from a higher altitude as shown in the pictures below.

IMG_6220IMG_6223IMG_6224

Toraja style grain houses and some ancient burial grounds within the cliff face

IMG_6248IMG_6251

1/2 albino buffalo

IMG_6279

 

IMG_6281IMG_6282IMG_6284-EditIMG_6243IMG_6294IMG_6299IMG_6296IMG_6307

1 comment: