Photo Galleries

Monday 10 March 2014

25/02/2014 - Cycling SE Asia. Day 66 - MacGyvering is the way forward.

Distance cycled: 129.7km from Benteng to Bira beach Sulawesi, Indonesia.
Average speed: 21.3km/h
Moving Time: 6h05m
Elevation Ascended: 1095m
Burned Calories: 3228kcal
Burned Fat: 419g
Total Distance on Current trip: 5901km
Distance until I have cycled the circumference of Earth: 13,849km
Money spent: $20

IMG_5581


View 25FEB14 - 500 in a larger map

image

 

Due to a snapped shifter cable yesterday was stuck with only three gears to cycle 30km to the nearest bicycle shop, this made the slightest uphill ascents incredibly strenuous but eventually I made it to a bike shop, however (there always seems to be a "however" in every situation here in Indonesia) the bike shop was incredibly basic, they only sold small children's bicycles and as such the lengths of shifter cables were not long enough for my bike but this wasn't my only concern because the gear shifter itself was somehow damaged too.
With a little bit of time and some "MacGyvering" using scrap parts from various broken bicycles within the shop I knocked up a solution. This is something I am quite proud of because this bodged up repair job works excellently. Pictured below.

IMG_5574IMG_5575

The 130km I cycled today was painfully grueling only because I was so exhausted from such a terrible nights rest and like always when I sleep with local families, or in this case a police station I was woken up at a painful time in the morning because of the nearby mosques and roosters shouting their morning calling. I was on the verge of going on a massacre!... of course not on the Muslims I meant the roosters.

Normally in the late afternoon I get a second win of energy but today this was not the case. I struggled with turning every rotation of the peddles to get to south Sulawesi's most popular beach destination, Pantai Bira.
Arriving as the sky was turning a fluorescent pink over this beautiful location I was sure I wasn't going to leave this place after a single evening despite the fact I have I time constraint to see what i want to see and to return to Makassar for my flight back to Thailand in less than 2 weeks.
Not only this though but because I met a group of girls (from various places in Europe) at a restaurant they convinced to to go diving tomorrow, it's an expensive trip but I'm sure it will be worth it.

IMG_5564IMG_5565

The morning after sleeping at the police station

IMG_5577IMG_5588IMG_5590

IMG_5614IMG_5611

No comments:

Post a Comment