Photo Galleries

Wednesday 8 January 2014

14/12/2013 - Cycling SE Asia. Day 36 - Subtle differences between Java and Bali.

Distance cycled: 92.7km from Ketapang, Java towards Kuta, Bali.
Average speed: 19.5km/h
Moving time: 4h45m
Total distance: 3724km
Border X'ings: 3
Money spent: $8

IMG_1678


View 14dec13 in a larger map

image

Leaving my comfortable and chilled den in Ketapang on the Javanese side I set off for Bali. Another island, new experiences and a place where I am definitely get a drink, or two, or three... maybe more.
Today I unfortunately did not make it to where I wanted to be to have these drinks i just mentioned because I took my time on the much improved roads of Bali passing many rice fields (Sawah) and ran for shelter when it rained and today it rained quite a lot.
Mentioning in the title there are some subtle differences between Java and Bali, I'll give you a few examples, there are a hell of a lot of temples here, with shines in the center of almost every farmland and rice paddy (there are more followers of Hindu here), with people performing their daily rituals of burning incense amongst flowers in their driveways and shop windows, traffic and pollution is considerable better and considerably more people speak English; other than these minor differences its all the sama (same).
The thing that I like most is that here there are gaps between the towns where I am able to camp. Right now I'm writing this in my tent which is pitched up beside a temple, I even passed a rest area beside the road! Not once did I see a grassy rest stop in Java.
People are friendly here too, not sure if they are friendlier than in Java but ill five it some more time to find out; that is if it is possible, it will be hard to beat.

IMG_1659IMG_1661

ON the boat from Java to Bali

IMG_1675IMG_1676IMG_1682IMG_1683IMG_1688

First day in Bali.

No comments:

Post a Comment