Photo Galleries

Sunday 27 November 2011

17/11/2011

I woke early this morning to join Richard and his friend (Anne Marie) on a hike up the mountain that towers up nearby his home.
To be able to walk from the center of the city to complete forest within an 20 minutes was quite unusual,and only hiking for an hour the noises from the city were dampened and soon it was just us and this forest with no-one else around. Climbing up steep cliff faces and slipping in mud was part of the adventure. We were very lucky to have the weather we did because most afternoons in Bogota it rains heavily, fortunately for us we didnt get this and although there was a little bit of fog or perhaps haze from the pollution it was mostly sunny meaning I ended up with a little bit of sunburn.
Rich recommended I shouldnt bring my nice camera as it could be unsafe so all the pics I took today was with my little point and shoot...
It was a fun-filled hike where we managed to reach the summit where we had a fantastic panoramic view of the city where there were some crazy rock formations that were some of the most unusual I have seen.
Getting back to Rich's place we were all staving but we were back just in time for the lunch his house mates were cooking up, we ate Arepa's that were delicious albeit a bit bland as most of the food I have tried in Columbia and before I knew it I was out sleeping for the afternoon.
Rich and his housemate had their weekly cleaning lady over and I spent some time practicing my Spanish with her.
Later in the evening there was a couch-surfing meeting in a bar nearby where I went along with Anne-Marie to check it out. I got chatting with a bunch of people using my broken Spanish and getting by reasonably well; here in Columbia I find it difficult to approach randoms for a conversation because of the language barrier but I hope in the coming months ill be able to improve and not hesitate to join in on a most Spanish speaking conversations.
It was a good night only drinking a few beers but I was feeling quite ill from the sun, beer, altitude and lack of sleep but that didn’t stop me cooking up a quick pasta dish for people in the house before going to bed.

 

Crazy Rock Formations, Bogota, 2011 Pano-1600

Crazy Rock formations at top of mountain beside Bogota City.

IMG_0645 Panorama-1600

View of the City

IMG_0599-640

More unusual rock stuff -  these would break off into almost perfect cubes

IMG_0578-640IMG_0579-640IMG_0580-640IMG_0581-640IMG_0602-640IMG_0604-640IMG_0605-640IMG_0644-640IMG_0583-640IMG_0585-640IMG_0593-640IMG_0595-640

On the hike up the mountain… i lost part of of one of my dreads – pic above

No comments:

Post a Comment